Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and rSAP

Reading the feature list of the FW 3.0 I was very diappointed that again there is no rSAP support. So it's not possible to use it in my car (VW). Does anybody know a external iPhone Application that offers this protocol?
Anton

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on May 20, 2009 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2009 11:22 AM

There are no iPhone applications at this time that can enable additional bluetooth protocols.

If I understand rSAP correctly, it looks for contact information on the SIM card and the iPhone does not store any contact info on the SIM.
12 replies

Jun 9, 2009 1:24 PM in response to Tamara

Nope, that's not the main purpose: through rSAP (remote SIM access protocol), a in-dash car phone (for ex.) can "grab" the SIM card in your mobile, so no need to have "dual card" arrangement for dedicated car phone. Advantage is that you are using a real car phone, with its own external antenna, steering wheel user i/f, SMS messages store, voice dialing etc. In other words, not just a "parrot" or wireless headset. And yes, some of them can grab contacts on the SIM card as well, or even on the mobile phone.

Sounds all very nice, but in reality it only really works with the following combination: VW or Audi and Nokia phone. My HTC Windows Mobile based PDA in theory should work as well, but in practice is a nightmare. That's why I'm longing for Apple to implement rSAP for quiet a while now; to bad that even in V.3 it still is not there.

Sep 14, 2009 4:14 AM in response to realinjun

Unfortunately Apple has still not implemented rSAP in OS3.1. Not having the option to use my (for the rest perfect) telephone with my Volkswagen Bluetooth kit is the only - but very large - disadvantage.

I guess many people have also left this suggestion at the Feedback page on apple.com since the intro of the iPhone. First of all I hope that Apple does read this forum and finally will make a statement about rSAP. Can we or can we not expect something in future releases?

Nov 19, 2009 6:03 AM in response to bulka011

Hi

i have exactly the same problem, just bought new CC with 510 nav package. Iphone will not connect as mentioned, thought of getting a nokia but then came up with a short term solution until the techies can finally put in an update to support RSAP.

I got a pay as you go sim and put in an old nokia 6300, this connects perfectly with the car, i then use call forwarding feature in iphone to divert to pay as you go number and it works like a dream.

cannot see any other way of getting round it.

iPhone and rSAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.