Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spore and other games doesn't wonk on one account

Hello,

Spore and other games which use Cider to run (NFS, The Sims, etc) do not work on one account on my iMac. They run in other accounts... If I try to run these games on account, where they don't work any icon of the game appears and bounces i the dock for like 3 seconds and then disappears. So now I have to use 2 accounts: on for everything and the other for gaming...

How can I make these games run on my main account? Thank You!

iMac late 2007, Mac OS X (10.5.7), iMac 24'' 2.8GHz late 2007

Posted on May 21, 2009 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2009 8:53 AM

Welcome to Apple Discussions:
Since the games work on your other accounts, it's obviously an app or a corrupted file on your main account that is causing the problem.
Run the console.app (in utilities folder) and see if there is any info about the problem listed there.
Also run Activity Monitor.app and see what else is running in your main account that is not running in the other working accounts.
Also check the apps in your login Items list in the Accounts preferences. It might be one of them.
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2009 8:53 AM in response to Nopix

Welcome to Apple Discussions:
Since the games work on your other accounts, it's obviously an app or a corrupted file on your main account that is causing the problem.
Run the console.app (in utilities folder) and see if there is any info about the problem listed there.
Also run Activity Monitor.app and see what else is running in your main account that is not running in the other working accounts.
Also check the apps in your login Items list in the Accounts preferences. It might be one of them.

May 21, 2009 11:46 AM in response to nerowolfe

Thank You,

This appears in Consola.app when I try to run Spore on my main account:

20:00:27 tgUpdate [ 4352 ] tgUpdate:INIT (0x0)
20:00:27 tgUpdate [ 4352 ] tgUpd:init
20:00:27 tgUpdate [ 4352 ] tgUpd:init
20:00:29 tgUpdate [ 4352 ] Error 70000005
20:00:29 tgUpdate [ 4352 ] tgUpdate:DEALLOC (0x0)
20:00:29 tgUpdate [ 4352 ] tgUpdate:DEALLOC (0x0)
20:00:29 [ 0x0-0x111111 ].com.transgaming.spore Invalid path "e:\tg-Tomáš Mjartan" for temp directory: does not exist

The numbers you can see in second column are in [] brackets but this discussion forum changes it into links
(Tomáš Mjartan is my name-so you are not confused what it is)

There is nothing special in login items: just iTunes Helper and SpeechSynthesisServer

There are processes that are running in main account but not in the second:
187 aosnotifyd cpu0.0 threads2 2.34MB/587.60MB
248 AppleSpell.service cpu0.0 threads1 8.62MB/603.54MB
182 Speech Synthesis Server cpu0.0 threads7 26.21MB/965.21MB

I also noticed that animation of minimization of windows to the dock has a bis lower fps on main account than on the other

What to do now?

May 21, 2009 12:41 PM in response to Nopix

You did not say whether the problem exists in the second account, or not.
The 7th error - invalid path - says to me this is a Windows version you are trying to run.
There is no path "e: ..." on a Mac.
I believe that the com.transgaming.spore is a plist that contains this invalid path.
If you find a file with that name in your
"user"/library/preferences directory
drag it to the desktop and reboot. See what happens.

May 21, 2009 4:03 PM in response to Nopix

Nopix wrote:
Ok there isn't such a file in that directory in both accounts. I guess it is "windows-like" because these games use Cider-it is windows version made to work on mac or something like that...

The file may be elsewhere. Use Finder to search for it on your complete computer, and then drag it onto the desktop and reboot.
I think that is your main problem. Somehow it thinks it's on a Windows Box 🙂

May 22, 2009 10:18 AM in response to nerowolfe

Ok, I found that file, it was in ...\Cashes... actually it is a folder. I dragged it to the desktop, rebooted, it didn't help, then I replaced it with the same file from the other account where it works, I did the same things with "SPORE Preferences" folder. It did not help.

I don't think that the problem is in one of Spore's files since any of games which uses Cider do not work on the main account. Can you please help me?

May 22, 2009 2:09 PM in response to Nopix

It could be a conflict with some other program.
You could uninstall it completely and reinstall it and see what happens, unless you have already done that.
You can also look in your console.app logs for anything that might be useful.
One of the cleanup apps such as Onyx that clears out cache, etc., might also be useful.

Message was edited by: nerowolfe

May 24, 2009 12:18 PM in response to Király

It works in third account, but I thing there is some permissions problem: As adviced, I ran Onyx. It did the routine disk controlls and then asked me for password, I entered it but it didn't work, I tried in in the second accout and it doesn't work too. It told me to repair permissions by Disk Utility.app. I did so, but it didn't help... what the **** is happening to my iMac??? 😟

Spore and other games doesn't wonk on one account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.