Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail: text missing in reply - partial diagnosis

When replying to email I have the default set to include the original text. However sometimes the text does not show up in my reply. What I've noticed is that when this happens, I have switched away from Mail to another app and then come back. At this point the email I've selected in my inbox is now highlighted in gray rather than black. If I click on reply now, the original text is lost. If I re-select the message in my inbox it becomes highlighted in black and a subsequent reply will include all of the text. Does anyone know what this intermediate gray state means and how to fix the problem?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on May 21, 2009 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2009 4:44 PM

I have recently been experiencing the same problem.
When replying to an email or forwarding an email, all I get now is the message header in the reply email or forward email.
I do have the default set in Mail Preferences/Composing/Responding - "Quote the text of the original message and:
"When quoting text in replies and forwards: Include all of the original message"
But when I reply and more importantly Forward an email, I cannot send the text of the email NOR any attachments.
Help please
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2009 4:44 PM in response to Greg Pelton

I have recently been experiencing the same problem.
When replying to an email or forwarding an email, all I get now is the message header in the reply email or forward email.
I do have the default set in Mail Preferences/Composing/Responding - "Quote the text of the original message and:
"When quoting text in replies and forwards: Include all of the original message"
But when I reply and more importantly Forward an email, I cannot send the text of the email NOR any attachments.
Help please

Aug 11, 2009 10:49 AM in response to Greg Pelton

Hmm... I have had this problem now for 3 weeks.

problem exists on 3 different machines and is intermittent.

Have been looking for answers on the net, found nothing...

changing font preferences fixes problem until the next time mail is launched.

If you set the reply preferences to include only the selected text, that works most of the time.

but my users don't like that solution.

I tried deleting the mail preferences and recreating everything, problem persists....

it's ever since the 10.5.7 update ( I think )

Would realy like to avoid archiving and re-installing MacOS X 10.5
on these 3 machines then updating only to 10.5.7.

Sep 10, 2009 2:46 PM in response to Greg Pelton

Here is the way I see the problem; When replying to an email, and/or otherwise including copy or attachments below my signature line, when the signature includes an image (instead of only text), some users don't get the image and the text below. In fact, even when there is nothing below, some recipients don't even get the image.

Please see if the common element is the type of signatures you have, (ie do they contain images). When I don't have an image in my signature line, the attachments and text below always go through.

I'm wondering if the intermittent problem here is something to do with the recipients email system cutting off the image and everything below...

Apple Mail: text missing in reply - partial diagnosis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.