Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I use my real name as an Apple ID for the iPhone Developer Program?

I'm signing up for the iPhone Developer Program, and could possibly use my current Apple ID "KWarp", or set up a new ID with my real name "GregLieberman". My considerations are:
-Does the developer ID name matter? Does it show up on the App store?
-Are real names "better" for business purposes?
-Do I want my developer id to be connected with this discussion board and my iTunes account?

The "KWarp" name is used on a few message boards, flash game websites, and is connected to my portfolio website "kwarp.com".

Fellow developers, what name did you chose for your iPhone Developer Apple ID and why?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Self-Installed 320GB HD

Posted on May 23, 2009 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2009 7:16 AM

Who do you want to be in email for support, etc.? Do you want to be kwarp on the internet and on a resume? What image do you want to project? Individual or business or phantom or...? How good are you at juggling both references? Which would you want on a business card?

I wouldn't want to strictly maintain two IDs (nick versus real), especially for the long term.

Pick one and stick with it. Let the other be incidental.

I also believe these are detailed when doing the contracts, with at least partial explanations of how they will be used, so you can ponder your way during the application process.

Developer ID/Name (as registered by you) shows up as 'seller' as I recall - different from the name version attached to the copyright tag. You could use 'kwarp' as seller with 'greg lieberman' after the copyright and at least for this example, use both.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2009 7:16 AM in response to KWarp

Who do you want to be in email for support, etc.? Do you want to be kwarp on the internet and on a resume? What image do you want to project? Individual or business or phantom or...? How good are you at juggling both references? Which would you want on a business card?

I wouldn't want to strictly maintain two IDs (nick versus real), especially for the long term.

Pick one and stick with it. Let the other be incidental.

I also believe these are detailed when doing the contracts, with at least partial explanations of how they will be used, so you can ponder your way during the application process.

Developer ID/Name (as registered by you) shows up as 'seller' as I recall - different from the name version attached to the copyright tag. You could use 'kwarp' as seller with 'greg lieberman' after the copyright and at least for this example, use both.

May 23, 2009 6:42 PM in response to KWarp

Wow!! You caught KT on one of his best days this year, Greg. There's no way to improve on his advice, but you asked one question that I can answer directly from experience.
Are real names "better" for business purposes?

Yes, absolutely, at least 1000% better. People generally don't like sending real money to an imaginary person. KWarp is a great name for a forum. I just saw the new Star Trek and thought of you. But Greg Lieberman is someone I can do business with. He's putting his name behind the product, and he's not likely to teleport to Romulus when I need some customer service.

Should I use my real name as an Apple ID for the iPhone Developer Program?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.