8 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2009 2:37 AM by madconqueror
Lukeintosh Level 1 (15 points)
hey there, as per my other post (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2010667&tstart=0) with my apps dissappearing, today my CD mysteriously popped out, No I didn't push the Eject key, Dose any one know where those Mac Viruses End up in the system and/or library folders?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6), MacBook Pro 15", iPhone 3G, AirPort Express V1, AirPort Express V2
  • madconqueror Level 4 (1,090 points)
    Hi Luke

I quickly skimmed through the other post. Let me ask a really stupid question: Do you own this MacBook Pro, or is it lent to you by your school?
    If the latter, is there a policy that prohibits installation of applications?

To your problem at hand: Please go to System Preferences > Sharing and tell us which checkboxes are enabled. Also tell us, what CD that was (i.e. why you put in your computer).

Kind regards
    --greg
  • Lukeintosh Level 1 (15 points)
    No i own it, It has had the School build of Mac OS X 10.4.11 on it but that was about 2 years ago and now has a clean build of leopard using the DVD i purchased from Apple
    Thanks
  • nerowolfe Level 6 (13,065 points)
    Lukeintosh wrote:
    hey there, as per my other post (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2010667&tstart=0) with my apps dissappearing, today my CD mysteriously popped out, No I didn't push the Eject key, Dose any one know where those Mac Viruses End up in the system and/or library folders?

There are NO Mac viruses.
    Iv been told/read about different things, Ie the iWork 09 Virus/Trojan and iv been told by my System IT guy at school mac's are becoming more prone to viruses,
    Hi Luke

This trojan requires your password to be installed - hence the legend that there is no "real" malware for the mac (although there was). Right now - well, since 5 months - there is a vulnerability in the Java environment due to Apples repeated laziness in updating parts of their OS they do not develop themselves (Java is a product by Sun). This vulnerability is exploited through your browser: http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/code/macosx/CVE-2008-5353.20090519.html
    ClamXav would not be able to identify such a website though - Symantecs Norton Internet Security might. But to put things into perspective: This is a) not a virus, but an escalation of permissions and b) it's only a proof of concept and probably not out in the wild, as the applet will only get the users but not root permissions.

I use ClamXav solely for one purpose: If I forward attachments to friends I got from other friends, I want to make sure they don't contain viruses.
    ClamAv (without the X) is widely used on Unix-like systems, especially mail servers, to test outgoing mails for possible malware.
    Okay, so what kind of CD was that?
    It was my Mac OS X 10.4 MacBook Pro Disk 2 CD. It was not installing anything either, and yes i have installed things on my MacBook Pro using the Admin password. Do you know the Dir the "viruses" are in?
    Hi Luke

No, I don't know where they'd be. But if you google for "mac trojan removal tool" you'll probably find the path to the bad file.
    At the time being, you only get the trojan when downloading pirated copies of some Apple and Adobe products.

The CD could have been ejected for the following reasons:
    You clicked a burn button accidentally
    The system decided the CD was unreadable (maybe because it got hot while being in the tray for too long?)
    You pressed the mouse key while starting up

You still haven't told us, which services are activated in Sharing preferences.

Kind regards
    --greg