Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting, deleting TC - suggestions

I have a MBP with 40GB of space left on the hard drive. A lot of the used space are movies. It seems ridiculous to store already viewed movies when hard drive space is becoming a concern.

TC has become redundant to me since I use Drop Box to sync both my iMac and MBP which also stores copies on their server. I realize the advantage of TC is that you can always retrieve previous versions of files but in the year I've had TC, I've never had to use this feature, and frankly, it's never really been an issue before. Maybe 20 years ago when I first began using a computer.

So my thoughts are to wipe out TC and use it to off load movies and use it as an external hard drive (in addition to using it as router). Is there a way to format TC or do I just delete the backups?

I plan on storing all movies and TV recordings on TC and accessing them through either Mac's on TC. Are there any issues with this?

MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on May 25, 2009 8:33 AM

2 replies

May 25, 2009 10:49 AM in response to Chris Sterns

So my thoughts are to wipe out TC and use it to off load movies and use it as an external hard drive (in addition to using it as router). Is there a way to format TC or do I just delete the backups?

If you no longer need what's currently on the TC, I suggest that you just use the AirPort Utility's disk erase feature to "wipe out" your TC.

I plan on storing all movies and TV recordings on TC and accessing them through either Mac's on TC. Are there any issues with this?

Just keep in mind that the TC was primarily designed to be a target for Time Machine backups. It of course can function as a simple NAS device, but does have have any supportive software/firmware to allow it to be an effective media server. In addition, if you do decide to reuse it for TM backups, you will find that any audio/video streaming from the TC during those hourly backups will be degraded.

May 25, 2009 10:49 AM in response to Chris Sterns

Sure. I've done it several times.

Go to:

1. "Airport Utility"
2. Click on Manual Setup"
3. Click on "Disks"
4. Click on "Time Capsule Disks" (or what ever name you changed it to)
5. Click "Erase".

I always zero out my drives. That way every thing is clean and fresh.

Note is takes a good 3-6 hours to zero out the drive....so start it before you go to bed and it will be ready when you awake just like band new.

Formatting, deleting TC - suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.