Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remote connection issues

I am trying to access my network remotely, but can't for some reason. I have internet coming to modem-wireless router. My server and other computers connect wirelessly. When I try to put in my static ip address (24.xx.xxx.xx), i get nothing. What should I be doing?

Thanks in advance

20" imac 2.66

Posted on May 25, 2009 10:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2009 5:42 PM

you need to look at your router's manual and look at the section on port forwarding.
7 replies

May 26, 2009 12:52 PM in response to piklawgroup

that hasn't really helped me as everything i read talks about setting ip's for each computer. I have a static ip from my isp so that i can access my network from anywhere. this is what i don't know how to set up. specifically, i suppose it seems to me that i would be able to type in my static ip address into a search bar and then be able to access my network. I'm kind of lost on this one.

May 26, 2009 2:22 PM in response to piklawgroup

It could be inferred by your phrasing that you're not particularly familiar with setting up a firewall and a small IP network. If that assumption is correct, then read [this|http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/275] as a start; that should give you an introduction to some of the IP pieces that are typical here. (Comments on that article are welcome, of course.)

You're going to want a public static IP address for your firewall (which is presumably already in place) and business-class service (if you're going to be serving up web pages or running a mail server or such) and you're then going to need to set up port forwarding at the firewall (presuming NAT, and that's less desirable), or you're going to need public static IP addresses for your firewall and for your target server box (more preferable) and a firewall rule that allows access from your specific client (more preferable) or from any network client (less desirable) to the target box.

Alternatively, you'll want a firewall which permits an in-bound VPN connection, and use a VPN client on your Mac box to connect from your Mac to your firewall. From there, most VPNs will allow you to access your LAN transparently.

Depending on how much you want to learn about setting up a LAN and remote access (and protecting your servers against the inevitable security attacks), It may well be most expedient to have somebody in the local Tampa area configure your network for you, too. (What solution is most appropriate here depends on how much time you want to spend dealing with the firewall and the network and such, and on your budget.)

Jun 3, 2009 5:23 PM in response to piklawgroup

I was running WRT54G boxes for a while (they work well, and they're cheap), though have ended up replacing them with a more capable firewall and/or with 802.11n-class WiFi networking at the sites I've been working with in recent times. (The old WRTs are occasionally still brought back into service for specific off-site events and meetings and spares and such.)

IIRC, the WRT54G could be configured with a static IP address on the WAN side, but was somewhat limited on its port-forwarding for my typical uses. There does look to be a decent description of the steps [here|http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G> around setting it up. I'd start by port-mapping port 80 through, and getting the web server running on the Mac OS X Server host.

Depending on the specific model of WRT54G involved, you might be able to load the DD-WRT or OpenWRT replacement firmware packages. (The specific models I was dealing with didn't allow that.)

remote connection issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.