Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set-up MacBook Pro profiles with/without Cinema Display

I use a Cinema Display 23" at my desk with my MacBook Pro. When doing so I keep the screen open on the laptop and use the additional space to keep my address book and calendar visible below the main screen, along with the dock... thereby keeping my main screen as clean and uncluttered as possible (it also makes dragging between applications an absolute cinch!)

The problem comes when I detach the monitor and take the laptop travelling, the windows are displaced and have to be resized on the laptop screen before I can work. Some windows almost disappear from view and have to be grabbed by their edges and dragged back onto screen. The process happens in reverse when I return to my desk, windows have to be re-sized and the calendar and address book dragged back again to the bottom screen.

What I'd like to know is, does anyone know a way to create, say, two different profile settings: 'desk' and 'travel' - the former would arrange everything onto two screens, the latter would use the laptop screen only. I could then switch between profiles at the click of a setting.

Perhaps there is a third party software to do it?

I would be grateful if anyone can help. Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Cinema Display 23", iBook G4, MacBook

Posted on May 28, 2009 5:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 4:16 PM

Forget-me-not was a nice application that solved this issue adequately. Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore under OS X 10.5. See http://www.n8gray.org/code/forget-me-not/ for more information (and a way to ask Apple to restore the functionality for making Forget-me-not work again).
1 reply

Set-up MacBook Pro profiles with/without Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.