3 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2009 12:00 PM by baltwo
cubytus Level 1 (0 points)
Hi to all,

I read about users having installed any HP software to have this file at this EXACT path, as well as some other having Brother-related software:
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.liginitems.plist

It seems to contain daemons that are launched before any user logs in that don't need to be launched at that moment (tested by killing them after login, HP hardware still works as usual).

This .plist file doesn't contain the same things as what is listed under Preference pane>Accounts>Login Items.

How can I edit this file to disable these daemons from login? HP preference pane doesn't list any ability to enable or disable loading at startups.

Macs are powerful, but I'm still uncomfortable with wasting resources.

2GHz MacBook unibody (not very reliable), Mac OS X (10.5.7), iPod Touch 2G 8GB (JB'ed ;)
  • biovizier Level 5 (7,925 points)
    The "com.apple.loginitems.plist" file may be new - I don't recall seeing it prior to Leopard. I haven't looked into it in detail, but it (together with the familiar "loginwindow.plist" file) appear to be configuration files for "login items", one difference being that with the "com.apple.loginitems.plist" file, the launch order follows the order of the items in the list, unlike the "loginwindow.plist" file.

When these files occur in a user's "~/Library/Preferences" folder, they apply only to that user (eg. "login items" added using the "Accounts" pref pane write to files in that location). In contrast, items in the boot drive's main "/Library/Preferences" folder will apply to all accounts.

The "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist" file isn't something that exists in the default configuration. If you don't need the items listed in the file, it should be possible to remove it without any issues. Or perhaps just remove it from "/Library/Preferences" and keep it somewhere else in case you find things don't work as expected and you need to put it back...
  • Mabel O'Farrell Level 3 (975 points)
    You need PropertyListEditor to edit these files. The easiest way to get a usable copy is to down load the latest Server Admin Tools update from the Apple Software updates page. Mount the disk image and open the Utilities folder on the disk image. Copy the application into your /Applications/Utilities folder.
  • baltwo Level 9 (62,215 points)
    Also included with Xcode Tools which is an optional install on your install disk.