Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support from Apple

I was not sure where to post this but I have had an on going hardware clock issue with my iMac G5 20" It is not the PRAM battery but an issue on the logic board. When I approached the Apple reseller I purchased the item from they said it was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do.

So taking this as read I looked into the problem myself. What I found is the unit I was sold as a new item had been opened in the past and an attempt made to fix a small driver chip near the PRAM battery. I took photos showing many hand prints on the internal metal casing and the tape seal broken. When I reported this back to the Apple reseller they suddenly acknowledged the iMac was still under warranty and could be repaired. However, I thought I should report this to Apple Australia who raised a case number (so you know this is real Case 120059489) However Apple did not want to be involved stating they sold their reseller quote "a merchantable item" and I should speak to them. Giving up I went back to the reseller and asked for the iMac 20" to be repaired under the proven warranty but they have now stopped responding to my request for this repair to proceed i.e service ticket raised.

So to my question has anyone had experience in escalating a warranty failure / complaint to Apple US as I am not sure who I can turn to in the Apple organization to have the iMac fixed under warranty. By rights Apple should replace the item as there is a hugh question mark regarding whether I was sold re-manufacturer rather than new item in the first past. Right now I do not care I just want my families iMac fixed. Perhaps there is an alternative customer complaint mechanism I have missed. I have done the right thing in reporting to Apple Australia but this has not helped or resolved the issue.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions would be appreciated

iMac 20", Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on May 28, 2009 9:50 PM

2 replies

May 29, 2009 1:10 AM in response to Captain351

Have you approached Customer Services at Apple Australia directly, Captain, rather than simply the support line? http://www.apple.com/au/pr/contacts.html may suggest some options if you have trouble getting the right contact.

But if this computer has really been "interfered with" by the company who sold it to you, then your action is clearly against them, rather than Apple, even if it is still in theory under Apple Warranty. Ultimately in Australia it is the actual seller, rather than the manufacturing company, who are responsible for making sure you receive "merchantable goods", though they in turn would have a claim against the manufacturer if the latter was responsible for the problem. Was the company concerned an Authorised Reseller?

If neither the store, nor Apple Australia, will properly deal with the matter then your next step is probably a 'small claims tribunal" action through the Consumer Affairs department in your State or Territory, or a call to "Choice" (ie The Australian Consumers Association).

It certainly sounds like a most unusual problem. How does the "clock issue" actually manifest itself?
I see all of your previous posts here are about quite unusual problems with support and concerns about pricing. This is really a user to user technical support forum rather than a consumer advocacy centre. If you tell us how your iMac G5 problem actually manifests itself then we may be able to suggest a solution without the need for external agencies.

Rod

May 29, 2009 6:49 AM in response to Rod Hagen

Rod thank you for the suggestions. To answer, yes I did approach Apple Customer Services directly and the company is an Authorised Apple Reseller.

The clock problem is the iMac will not hold the date and time. As soon as the AC is removed for more than a minute and the system rebooted the previous date / time setting is lost. Originally I thought this to be the PRAM battery but this has been isolated and the actual issue is a small regulator IC which has been worked on at some point such the chip no longer is siting square on the surface mount pad. There is also a small hand written label with an arrow pointing to the suspect chip on the logic board. Not more I can do it would seem. I thought there might be an Apple US route to report the hardware problem.

I am generally quite pleased with the Apple products and have various systems with no problems.

Support from Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.