Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I keep Music out of "Compilations" & under the appropriate artist?

Often, iTunes places an album by a single artist into the "Compilations" folder rather than that artist's folder. I have moved the albums into the folder for the appropriate artist but each time I update my iTunes library it places the albums back into the "Compilations" folder. Is there any way to prevent this?

Thank you.

Message was edited by: zadnor1

MacBook 13", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 29, 2009 9:35 AM

6 replies

May 29, 2009 9:42 AM in response to zadnor1

iTunes gets the information on the CD from an online database, quite often this will identify greatest hits packages or single artist best of collections as compilations. You can change the compilation marker and then the songs will go into the artist folder. Click on the first song in an album that you want to change, hold down the shift key and click on the last song to highlight everything in between. Right click on the selection and choose Get Info. You'll get a message asking if you want to edit multiple items, say yes. In the box that opens go to the Options tab and change "part of a compilation" to no and choose OK.

May 29, 2009 9:46 AM in response to zadnor1

My guess is that maybe the single artist album has a track or two with someone else on it, as well. iTunes then automatically assumes it is a compilation. I think the only way to get around your problem is to bring up the album in iTunes, select all the songs, bring up the Get Info box, and uncheck the Part of Compilation box in the lower right corner. Then click Next and do the same for all the songs in the album. Sounds like a lot of work, but should take you less than a minute for an album.

May 29, 2009 1:10 PM in response to Tracy Reynolds

I don't know about any databases, but I have a lot of obscure cds that are not in any database, and I have to type in all the song titles and artist names. If there is even one track with an additional artist on it, it gets thrown into the compilation category.

You can make many changes at once by selecting all songs in an album, but I do not see a way to "un-compilate" an album without doing it song by song. If there is a way to do so, I would like to know it.

May 29, 2009 1:17 PM in response to Joey C 2

*I do not see a way to "un-compilate" an album without doing it song by song. If there is a way to do so, I would like to know it.*

You could have read my post which is above yours in answer to the OPs question. Click on the first song in an album that you want to change, hold down the shift key and click on the last song to highlight everything in between. Right click on the selection and choose Get Info. You'll get a message asking if you want to edit multiple items, say yes. In the box that opens go to the Options tab and change "part of a compilation" to no and choose OK. The marker will be changed for all the songs at once.

Jun 1, 2009 12:22 AM in response to Joey C 2

*I don't know about any databases, but I have a lot of obscure cds that are not in any database, and I have to type in all the song titles and artist names.*

When you first insert a CD iTunes connects to the internet and goes to the Gracenote CDDB database and looks for your CD, and uses that info to fill in the artist and track names. If you insert a CD that has not been entered into the Gracenote CDDB database you get blanks. After you fill in all the information correctly, you can upload that info so others can get it. With the CD selected, choose Advanced/Submit CD Track Names.

Tracy

How can I keep Music out of "Compilations" & under the appropriate artist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.