Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 XP Mode BIOS set up?

Anybody using the beta version of Windows XP mode under Windows 7?

I got as far as verifying that my processors do in fact allow for "hardware virtualization" but when I attempted to follow instructions to enable this feature, I could only find instructions for proprietary OEM computers. None for the Mac Pro. When running the start up Bios configuration screen, I got concerned I would screw things up and aborted.

Anyone done this and know where I can get step by step instructions for a machine like mine?

Cheers.
Mike

Mac pro (early 2008 desktop), 8 x 2.8, 8GB Ram, 2.5TB, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Boot camp, win 7 (build 7100)

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 12:49 AM

7 replies

Jun 5, 2009 2:59 PM in response to Michael Northcutt

Michael Northcutt wrote:
Anybody using the beta version of Windows XP mode under Windows 7?

I got as far as verifying that my processors do in fact allow for "hardware virtualization" but when I attempted to follow instructions to enable this feature, I could only find instructions for proprietary OEM computers. None for the Mac Pro. When running the start up Bios configuration screen, I got concerned I would screw things up and aborted.

How did you get to the BIOS configuration screen, please?

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2009 4:43 PM in response to tangerine20

I went to this page here where there is the official instructions on setting up the xp mode:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

After running the Intel Processor Identity Utility and verifying that my CPU supports hardware virtualization, I went to step 2 and randomly chose an OEM PC model. I figured HP would be closer to a Mac than a Dell.

The instructions for the BIOS config screen are there under step 2, twirl down menu btn next to "HP Systems". It worked as far as bringing up the screen, but the instructions to follow didn't seem to correspond. Hence my thread here.

Thanks,
Mike

Jun 5, 2009 5:04 PM in response to Michael Northcutt

Little more info here:

The instructions (see the link above) for HP PCs states:
1. Depress Esc key when prompted at startup
2. Depress the F10 key to Configure BIOS

I think that I just depressed AND HELD Esc during start up (after selecting boot camp start up drive). Can't recall for sure. Also, I had a real PC keyboard attached to Mac.

Jun 6, 2009 9:18 AM in response to Michael Northcutt

Michael Northcutt wrote:
Little more info here:

The instructions (see the link above) for HP PCs states:
1. Depress Esc key when prompted at startup
2. Depress the F10 key to Configure BIOS

I think that I just depressed AND HELD Esc during start up (after selecting boot camp start up drive). Can't recall for sure. Also, I had a real PC keyboard attached to Mac.

Hmmz. Doesn't look like I can bring up this screen. Holding down
escape brought up the Windows boot manager screen, but that's not
the same as a BIOS configuration screen.

What sort of options did you see? I would like to be sure we are
talking about the same thing.

Thanks.

Jun 6, 2009 10:51 AM in response to tangerine20

Thanks Tangerine20 for looking at this.

Well... now I'm not sure either. I also got boot mgr. A frozen boot mgr at that. Had to restart with power btn. I can't recall what I did last time but I thought I had reached the correct screen before. In any event, I know absolutely no more than what is posted on the instructions page at microsoft which I linked above. Typically whenever I see a black windows command-line screen, I'm not very comfortable.

If you want to play around with this some more and see if you can discover the BIOS screen and navigate it that would be huge!

Thanks,
Mike

Jun 6, 2009 11:08 AM in response to Michael Northcutt

Unless you find instructions for Itanium and EFI, you aren't going to have any luck. One guy played around and tried using some Open Fimrware commands he knew and wiped out the logicboard, it had to be replaced.

So if InsanelyMac or forums.macrumors or someone had done this, maybe on a "spare" test system at that... most threads asking about enabling (or disabling) VT or hyper-threading (Nehalem), I'd stay clear.

Dell has some Xeon workstations, that look closer in architecture.

Jun 6, 2009 11:54 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks Hatter.

Sounds like I'll stay clear. Ironically I still haven't found one app that isn't running with Win. 7. When I posted this earlier in the week I was expecting more apps and a need to run legacy apps. That need is almost all but vanished. I liked this idea of an integrated virtual xp over the 3rd party virtual pcs. But this is now looking like a big pain for little use.

Marking this thread question as answered. With the answer being.... "no". : )

Windows 7 XP Mode BIOS set up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.