This discussion is archived

New battery, turns off at low battery-not sleep

6491 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 15, 2009 10:17 AM by CeeZeeCZ RSS
1 2 Previous Next
CeeZeeCZ Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 4, 2009 4:31 AM
Any help greatly appreciated.

New battery and trying to calibrate it. Turned PB off, installed new battery, plugged it in and fully charged it. Turned PB on, unplugged it and used it. I got the warning about the low battery message to plug into AC power or it would soon go to sleep. So, I kept on using it to force the sleep. Instead after a bit it simply shut down. No pulsing light. I charged it back up (overnight) and turned it on and when I go to 'More Info' in the Apple menu and look at the Power information I see:

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4544
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 4379
Amperage (mA): -1428
Voltage (mV): 12105
Cycle Count: 0

No first low level warning and no upping the cycle count. What should be my next step? I've heard about possibly resetting the PRAM, is this one of those times?

(BTW, I am able to put the PB to sleep when I select Sleep from the apple menu. That works fine.)

Message was edited by: CeeZeeCZ
PBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)
    Jun 4, 2009 5:08 AM (in response to CeeZeeCZ)
    A Power Management Unit (PMU) reset may help: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431
    PB G4 1.67ghz 2gb; mini G4 1.5ghz 1gb, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • kmac1036 Level 4 Level 4 (2,360 points)
    Jun 4, 2009 5:27 AM (in response to CeeZeeCZ)
    is this an genuine apple battery or a 3rd party? Only the apple ones will put the machine to sleep, any others will just abrupty shut the machine down.
    Unibody MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6), PowerMac G4 DVI, 1.2Ghz, 2TB RAID1
    Jun 4, 2009 7:49 AM (in response to CeeZeeCZ)
    if you ran it dead already once, then the calibration is done. but the machine will just simply shut down if you completely run the battery out.
    Unibody MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.6), PowerMac G4 DVI, 1.2Ghz, 2TB RAID1
    Jun 4, 2009 7:50 AM (in response to CeeZeeCZ)
    'First low level warning' is still a No:

The first low level warning doesn't mean has one ever been issued. It means has one been issued against the current battery status. When you empty the battery / recharge it, that resets to 'no'.
    Jun 4, 2009 10:55 AM (in response to CeeZeeCZ)
    2 to 3 deep discharges are enough for a lithium battery to be conditioned it's first time.
    Jun 4, 2009 2:56 PM (in response to CeeZeeCZ)
    I use my system enough that I deep discharge once or twice a month. In their note on batteries, Apple says whats important is to keep the electrons flowing, which means minimally a once a month deep discharge. You've probably read this note already: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html. If I remember in your initial post, your battery had around 600 cycles on it, which is outstanding ... keep doing whatever you've been doing!
  • eww Level 9 Level 9 (52,975 points)
    Jun 5, 2009 5:09 AM (in response to kmac1036)
    Only the apple ones will put the machine to sleep, any others will just abruptly shut the machine down.

This has never been my experience. Since 1994, I've bought several third-party batteries for several different Powerbooks, and all have behaved properly vis-a-vis sleep on low battery. They've all been bought from reliable Mac-centric vendors and borne reputable brand names, and none cost less than $90. I've never owned a third-party battery that failed to trigger sleep as it neared full discharge, except when it was very old and tired.

I have, however, seen many reports here of cheap third-party batteries picked up on Ebay, some of them bearing apparently counterfeit Apple labels, that failed to trigger sleep on low battery, provided false or impossible battery condition readouts, failed to charge, never gave any low-battery warnings, or otherwise misbehaved.

You get what you pay for in Powerbook batteries.

Message was edited by: eww
    15" MBP unibody 2.4GHz/4G/250G; TiBook 1GHz/1G/120G; PTProG3 500MHz/768M/160G, Mac OS X (10.5.7), film and flatbed scanners, projector, graphics tablet, laser and photo printers
    Jun 5, 2009 7:22 AM (in response to eww)
    I bought my macbook battery from a very apple centric vendor - it doesn't support it.
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.