Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to choose startup disk with "Option" key

I recently ran into this problem after installing Windows through Boot Camp. When I boot up my Mac and hold the "Option" key it just ignores it completely and flies right on into whatever OS I have selected as my startup disk.

It also will not work if I have a DVD or CD in the drive, and I noticed it is doing this even without a Windows partition.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 15.4-inch; 2.16GHz Core Duo processor; 2GB of RAM; 320GB HDD; ATi X1600 Radeon

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 1:21 PM

7 replies

Jun 6, 2009 2:51 PM in response to Bruce Etnyre

As I said above, it works fine.

I noticed this as well: none of the keys on the keyboard work when the machine starts up. I tried plugging the keyboard directly into the Mac instead of having, at I usually do, plugged into the Cinema Display and that didn't change anything.

I recently just took the machine in for repair and the replaced an I/O board, any chance that may have something to do with it? It was working fine before I had the repairs.

Unable to choose startup disk with "Option" key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.