Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD & Applecare

I have a few questions. I need to bring my macbook into applecare this week for a case issue.

Im planning to upgrade my HD soon as well.
When I bring my Macbook into apple care, do they require you to have the HD in it?
Would installing a bigger HD void my warrantee?
If so, would apple do it, and therefore NOT void the warrantee?

Thanks

Intel Macbook - White - 120GB HDD - 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 1 External HD, 150 GB, iPod Touch 8GB

Posted on Jun 7, 2009 1:11 PM

2 replies

Jun 8, 2009 11:48 AM in response to RSully

RSully wrote:
I have a few questions. I need to bring my macbook into applecare this week for a case issue.

Im planning to upgrade my HD soon as well.

Have fun. Go big. 😉

When I bring my Macbook into apple care, do they require you to have the HD in it?

I believe so. I've heard that they also typically require that there is memory in the machine.

Would installing a bigger HD void my warrantee?

No. However - the aftermarket HD wouldn't be covered under warranty or AppleCare should it fail. The drive would typically come with its own warranty though. Apple also wouldn't be liable for repair for anything damaged from improper installation.

If so, would apple do it, and therefore NOT void the warrantee?

I haven't heard of Apple doing HD installation except for warranty/AppleCare repairs. Their service personnel almost exclusively does warranty and AppleCare repairs. You could take it to an independent service facility, which would typically guarantee their work. Another alternative is to use an Apple Authorized Service Provider. These are third party companies with personnel certified by Apple for repair/installation work. If they manage to bungle the installation process, Apple considers their work to be fully covered under warranty or AppleCare.

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/

HD & Applecare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.