Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

iMac 233>333mHz upgrade?

488 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2005 11:36 AM by Ron JACKLE RSS
Michael Hetes Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 14, 2005 11:38 AM
I rescued a couple of vintage 1998 iMacs a number of weeks ago, one a Bondi Blue 233mHz machine and the other a Strawberry 333mHz. From a cursory inspection it was noted that the logic boards sport the same part number, even though they are supposedly different version numbers. (BTW, how does one tell the difference between Version "A" and "B" iMacs?) The ATI chips have different designations and the Bondi also has a built-in infrared (IrDA) sensor. Other than those obvious characteristics, they appear identical.

Naturally the 333mHz computer would be preferable to keep, but its' CD-ROM is shot. Now, I realise that the CD-ROMs are not interchangeable due of differences in logic board design, and recall -- somewhere -- there being an issue of "data loss". However, another idea popped up that may or may not be hare-brained. Can one take the entire processor card from the "newer" 333 and move it over to the earlier 233 Bondi, or are the processor cards themselves dependent upon the logic boards? If this is feasible it would be great, as I would then also be able to bump up the RAM to 256MB, rather than the measly 64MB now in place.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.