Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with adding imac to linksys router

Hi-
I am already encourage by reading other posts because others have been in the same boat and they got such wonderful advice.
Ok- the situation. Bought a imac from my school (they upgraded) its an imac and has OS 9.l We have a linksys wireless broadband router that we use connected to our verizon dsl modem. Our sony vaio(ethernet) and our toshiba laptop (wireless) both work fine with the internet.
After reading other posts, I have
turned off appletalk and filesharing is off.
checked TCP/IP control panel and chose ethernet and DHCP

I called the verizon folks and worked through many steps with them. We got to the point that the computer got information from the router so I guess the ethernet cable is working. He said to call linksys. I called them and they worked through it with me and said to get in touch with apple.

so I am really hoping for help from someone out there...
Thanks,
Reuwai

Posted on Sep 17, 2005 7:42 PM

2 replies

Sep 18, 2005 7:38 AM in response to Michael Hanewald

We got to the point that the computer got information from the router so I guess the ethernet cable is working.

How did you confirm that the computer has the info? Did it pick up a valid IP address? It sounds like the iMac is connected by wire to the router--is that right? Does the connection show a green light on the router? If the IP info seems correct, what's not working, exactly? You're unable to load any web pages?

Some additional ideas: in the TCP/IP panel, click the Options button and remove the check from 'load only when needed.' If you don't see an options button, go to Edit: User mode and selecte advanced. After you make changes in the panel and save the settings, shut down the computer. Make sure it is connected to the router and restart.

There are some other things to try if those steps don't work. But that's the place to start. HTH

Sep 21, 2005 12:15 AM in response to Michael Hanewald

Michael,

Just like Elizabeth asked, so what's not working ?

Have you specified a router address in your OS9 TCP/IP Control Panel ? This is usually required, and is usually set to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You'll be able to get the address from the wireless router documentation - it's hardwired. Have you specified one (or usually two) DNS server IP addresses ? Most cable / broadband suppliers don't require that you specify these, but some do. These would come from a configuration sheet from your ISP, or you could pull them from one of the Windows PCs.

problem with adding imac to linksys router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.