Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update not working

On my Mac Mini Software Update is not working as expected. I have this machine setup with multiple accounts and my kids accounts are very limited so they can use the computer safly while I am not home. My account has admin permissions. When I log into the computer and run Software Update it finds many (11) updates. I click install all and go do something else. I come back about 20 mintues later and found the system sitting at the "login" screen. I thought great it finished. Then I thought that was way to fast. So I log in and run Software Update again. You guessed it the same 11 items need an Update. So now I try and update them one at a time. I successfully updated a few items. Then I thought let me update the 4 items that require a reboot at one time. I started the update and left the machine alone for a while. I came back to the system saying I needed to restart. I clicked on OK. The system then said that it couldn't log out because "Software Update" was running. I could not do anything at this point except hold the power button in until the system powered down and I could then restart it.

To me it seams like a problem with the multi-user setup. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

24" iMac 3.06; Mac Mini; PowerMac G4; & Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 7:04 AM

3 replies

Jun 9, 2009 7:12 AM in response to Scott Rullmann

Hey there,
Maybe start here
[Troubleshooting Automatic Software Update in Mac OS X|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9505211&tstart=0].

Otherwise, try deleting this file. com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist located at /Users/YourName/Library/Preferences. Drag that .plist file from the Preferences folder to the Trash, empty the Trash and restart your Mac.

Hope this helps.

B-rock

Jun 10, 2009 9:13 AM in response to planb77

This did not solve the problem. I repaired disk permissions and deleted all the SoftwareUpdate ".plist" files found in the link. I restarted the Mac Mini. When I tried to run the Software Update for everything it still died. I then ran each update by itself and it worked fine so my system is up to date. However, I suspect the problem will reappear the next time Apple releases many updates together.

I guess I need to figure out the best way to contact Apple directly. And thanks for the info you provided.

Software Update not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.