Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not recognizing jpg - can't upload

I scanned a photo like I normally do ... went to import to iphoto and it says it can't because it doesn't recognize the format. It's a jpg!! Any ideas why?

Recently did an software update and now it isn't working.

I don't understand.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 6:43 PM

10 replies

Jun 10, 2009 6:52 AM in response to jamarose

How do you know it is a JPG? While normally we would expect the extension of .JPG to indicate a true JPEG file, you could attach the ".jpg" extension to any file, so the file may be something entirely different.
When you do a Get Info on the file from the Finder, does it give any info there that might point to a different file type?
Patrick

Jun 10, 2009 3:41 PM in response to jamarose

iPhoto does seems to have this bug. I've found a work-around by saving to TIFF or whatever then re-importing. Try various ext and you may get it in - frustrating I know. Software and bugs have always gone hand in hand unfortunately. I think for some I then converted back to JPG and they went in - wacky I know. Hope this helps. The public always seems to be the de-bugging team. I did similar de-bugging for a new body for Nikon software too - that's the problem with being first in line to use. You get the new benefits, but suffer with bugs until they're corrected.

Jun 23, 2009 12:09 PM in response to bluespark65

I encountered this importing issue when trying to import JPEG files that were created from scanning black & white negatives and received the "unrecognized format" error. The color model saved by the scanner software is apparently "Grey".

I found workaround involving using Preview to edit the color model. In Preview, I clicked on Tools->Match to Profile, then choose Color Model: RGB and the appropriate ColorSync Profile. When I saved the file in Preview, I was then able to import it into iPhoto.

Good Luck.

not recognizing jpg - can't upload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.