4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2009 2:00 PM by The hatter
Sophia Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
Hello,
I'm a designer who works predominately in 3D and have been looking for a high end graphics card. A friend of mine has the above card on his PC and strongly recommended it. I have a Mac Pro, March 2008 model...2x 3.2GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 6GB RAM. Is this card fully compatible with my mac and is it a good card in your opinion(s) ?

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/productquadro_fx_4800_for_macuk.html

Regards
Sophia

2x 3.2GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 6GB RAM
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (60,845 points)
    Only if you work in Windows. PC cards have traditional non-EFI BIOS which Mac cards need.
  • Warthog101 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi Sophia,

This card is compatible with your MacPro, you need to ensure that you purchase the Mac version of course because there is a PC version out there. This card uses less power than the FX5600 in my MP which is a bonus, it also costs alot less.

cheers

Warthog101
  • DPArt Level 3 Level 3 (550 points)
    Whoa.......Slow down there, hatter, and have a look at the card she linked too. Sometimes the eagerness to up the post count leads one to not actually read the question asked.

It is exactly the card she should buy, the Mac Quadro 4800.

So by all means Sophia, purchase the card you asked about.

Please report back with your results.
  • The hatter Level 9 Level 9 (60,845 points)
    Yea, I saw "was using in a PC" and the link to "Mac Edition" and what I should have done is say "double check it."

I ain't into posts and counts, just trying to help. Some people think I work just for them and sometimes I just throw up and go to diner and never look back.