Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get a refund for an iTunes gift card

I got an iTunes gift card but can't buy anything on iTunes. How do I go about getting a refund?

iMac 20" (Intel), Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 6:44 PM

12 replies

Jun 11, 2009 9:17 PM in response to thicks

Thanks for your reply. I'm not confident I can get a refund, knowing how Apple is about such things.

Tried to buy some songs tonight from iTunes, first time. Had already entered my account info and the gift card no. iTunes showed the credit, but when I went to buy, (I went thru the whole procedure), nothing happened. The songs are still in my shopping basket. I thought it would download the songs, use up the gift card and bill the balance to my credit card. But nothing. Feeling like I'm getting ripped off by Apple!

Jun 12, 2009 7:15 AM in response to thicks

I was taken to a page showing my account information, with a "Done" button at the bottom. I clicked on Done. If I remember right, it sent me back to my still full shopping cart. No confirmation of purchase appeared. No message of any kind appeared. I went thru this drill twice. The shopping cart still shows my items, and my $15 credit from my gift card still shows (though rather useless at this point). And I don't see any "Purchased Items" area that I'm told should be there. I probably should mention this is my first purchase from iTunes. Certainly not my first, or 100th, online purchase.

I've already invested more time in this than it's worth. I've read online that Apple never gives refunds on gift cards. If that's the case, then I need to hear that from them so I can tell them what I think of them, warn my family and friends never to buy iTunes gift cards again, and move on. I tried to contact them last night but it was too late. I plan on calling them today to verify their policy. If they refuse to give my son's money back, I consider it outright theft.

Jun 12, 2009 11:12 AM in response to salgud1

i have been on apple online help for two days straight trying to redeem my 15.00 gift card. they have the money it is in the account but i cannot access it. aaarrrggg. I am so frustrated. no one seems to know what to do. i am disappointed. i was considering getting a refund, but i guess that won't work. so apple gets another 15.00 of my money.

Jun 12, 2009 12:12 PM in response to salgud1

There is no telephone support for the iTunes Store; calling Apple tech support won't help as there's nothing they can do regarding iTunes Store problems, nor will the Apple Store be able to help since there apparently was nothing wrong with the gift card, per se, since you were able to redeem it.

Contact the iTunes Store Customer Service department using the form at the bottom of the Purchase Issues FAQ web page and explain the problem to them. They should be able to help you sort out the problem.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

How to get a refund for an iTunes gift card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.