Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Original Phone As An iPod With New Sim

My situation will be this - I currently have the 3G which I will be replacing with the 3GS. I know that I'll just be using the sim it comes with for the activation. My wife is currently using the original iphone but will be taking over my 3G. I believe all we need to do is take the sim out of the original one and use it in the 3G and activate it for her, discarding the sim that I was using with it. This will leave the original phone without a sim. I believe to use it as an ipod with no phone service a sim is required. I read an Apple support article that said to use the last sim that was activated with that phone to do this. However we will have taken that sim to use for her in the 3G.

I happen to have a spare 3G sim at home that was never registered to anyone. It was a new one I picked up from an AT&T store just in case. If a sim is required to activate the old phone as an ipod can I just insert that one and connect it to iTunes?

Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Late '08, Intel iMac 20" 2.4, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 10:15 AM

The safest approach would be to leave the original SIM in the original iPhone, activate your new 3GS with its new SIM and your phone number, then activate the 3G with your unused SIM and your wife's phone number. That will deactivate the SIM in her original iPhone, but the old original iPhone will still have its original (but no longer active) SIM, which is what Apple recommends for iPod use.

Before doing any of this, update the original, and your 3G iPhones to 3.0 (when it is available).
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2009 10:15 AM in response to Pappasbike

The safest approach would be to leave the original SIM in the original iPhone, activate your new 3GS with its new SIM and your phone number, then activate the 3G with your unused SIM and your wife's phone number. That will deactivate the SIM in her original iPhone, but the old original iPhone will still have its original (but no longer active) SIM, which is what Apple recommends for iPod use.

Before doing any of this, update the original, and your 3G iPhones to 3.0 (when it is available).

Jun 14, 2009 12:36 PM in response to Pappasbike

Since you and your wife already have AT&T iPhone plans, you might be able to do everything at home with iTunes, but you should check with AT&T. Your wife will be moving from the original iPhone to iPhone 3G, for which AT&T normally charges a higher monthly fee. Since AT&T will not be subsidizing your wife's iPhone, though, she may be able to keep the lower rate.

Using Original Phone As An iPod With New Sim

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.