Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing data in folder

I have been backing up my G4 Powerbook, running 10.4.11, to a partition on a 150 GB, firewire, external HD. When I tried to transfer these BU data to a 150 GB USB external HD, the message in the dialog box that appeared estimated that it would take 50 hours to download the 50 GB of data, 1hr/GB. I wanted to download at night while the computer was not being used so divided the BU data into smaller files. When I transferred these smaller files the original messages in the dialog boxes estimated 1hr/GB but these later changed to 0.5hr/GB. I don’t understand why the estimated times changed by a factor of two while much less than 50% of the files had been transferred.

But my real problem is that the transfers went well up to /users/TStampfer. Because of the size of this folder I broke it into separate folders. While a part of TStampfer transferred, the remainder did not and I am left with one file titled “TSampfer” that “TStampfer Info” says has 16 GB but there is nothing there when I open it.

I think I have screwed up somewhere particularly when I compare the structure of “Users” on my internal HD with that of “Users” on the external HD. The BU “Users” has many more parts. I have been using SuperDuper as my backup program

I would very much appreciate help to find these missing 16 GB of data. I think these are data going back to 1999 that were transferred from a number of earlier Macs.

Thank you

Ted Stampfer

1.5 GHz G4 Powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 15, 2009 10:49 AM

4 replies

Jun 15, 2009 11:48 AM in response to Ted Stampfer

Hi Ted, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Something is terribly wrong, I just transferred a 10 GB file on a G4 to a Firewire/400 drive and it took almost exactly 5 minutes, of course breaking it into many files folders woyuld take longer, but not 120 times longer!?

That sounds like USB1.1 speeds, or a failing Gard Drive, have you verified it in Disk Utility yet?

Just tranfered a i GB folder with 109 files/folders in it and it took about a minute.

Jun 15, 2009 8:39 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you very much for your response to my query “Missing data in folder”. It would appear that my transfer speed should have been much higher than it was. I wonder how much this rate was decreased by the fact that instead of going from a computer directly to a Firewire/400 drive, I was transferring from a Firewire/400 drive to a USB drive. Both drives checked out fine with Disk Utility.

To try and isolate the trouble I downloaded a 2.7 GB file first to the Firewire drive and then to the USB. It took 4 ¾ min for the transfer to the firewire, 34 GB/hr, not as good as you did but better than my previous 2GB/hr. When I tried the same transfer but to the USB drive, the transfer rate was about 2.5 GB/hr. similar to my original experience. It appears that there may be something wrong with the USB drive-Bummer.

Thank you very much for your help with that problem. But I still need to find the16 GB that is supposed to be in /users/TStampfer. I would very much appreciate any ideas you may have about how I make that data appear in the folder.

Thanks again

Ted

Jun 15, 2009 9:03 PM in response to Ted Stampfer

Does that PB have USB2, or only USB1.1?

I was transferring from a Firewire/400 drive to a USB drive.

USB is much slower, and the Max will be the slowest of the two.

But I still need to find the16 GB that is supposed to be in /users/TStampfer. I would very much appreciate any ideas you may have about how I make that data appear in the folder.

If your PB has USB2, and we're getting thse transfer rates, (USB2 is usually about half of Firewire/400 in real life), then the drive or interface is defective and no telling where tat stuff is or isn't.

What Format are these Drives? Any of them Fat32/MS-DOS? That'd lose any file over 4 GB.

Missing data in folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.