Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplex printing with HP P1005, how ?

I bought the HP 1005, latest drivers installed. I can not figure out how to print on both sides. I turned on the option, "print on both sides" under word, but after it prints the first side what should I do ? I see that the light is blinking red after it has print the first side.

MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz-ACD 20"-iPod 60 GB-TC 500GB, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 4:07 AM

11 replies

Jun 16, 2009 6:34 AM in response to tago

I suspect that I've had more experience with HP's non-support than you have.

And a look at the specs says that the duplexing on that machine is manual. You've got to flip over the pages yourself. I'd really suggest that you read the manual and that you contact HP support to get further info. Good luck finding someone at HP support who will answer the phone in under a half hour to 45 minutes. And when you get an actual human on the phone, good luck finding one who knows that HP supports Macs. And should you by some miracle locate a customer support agent who not only picks up the phone but knows that HP supports Macs, good luck finding one who will tell you more than what I just did: read the manual.

This is the voice of bitter experience talking. But, hey, you'll learn.

And, no, just because the driver option is there doesn't mean that it's possible. The list of 'features' on HP devices which don't work properly or at all on Macs is lengthy. (Hint: try to scan something on a Mac running Leopard using a HP MFD or scanner built before 2007. Go ahead. Try. I'll wait. I won't hold my breath while waiting, though... There's a reason why my old HP MFD is currently connected to a machine running XP.) But, again, you'll learn.

Jun 16, 2009 6:38 AM in response to tago

tago,

With due respect the Laserjet 1005 is not a duplex printer. Look up the specifications for the device and nowhere will you see duplexing. About the only way you do duplexing is when printing a document first choose to print all the odd pages, then put them in order (page 1 on top, next 2 etc..,) turn them over and put them back in the printer and print the even pages. It's a tedious solution but it does work.

Regards,

Roger

Jun 16, 2009 6:50 AM in response to tago

Sorry guys, but I find your answers a bit offensive.
I've read the HP specs before buying, and it clearly says that the driver supports manual duplex. Of course I was not expecting automatic duplex from a 75 eur printer.
Problem is that every time I select the duplex options the red light blinks and it prints only the first side. Of course I have flipped the paper, I'm not that stupid.

Jun 16, 2009 7:08 AM in response to John Dougan

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit but the sentence "With due respect the Laserjet 1005 is not a duplex printer. Look up the specifications for the device and nowhere will you see duplexing." irritated me, because I think I'm able to read the specs on the HP website.
However the solution proposed by Charles was useful. It's annoying, but better than nothing.
Of course I know that this is not an HP forum, I've been here, mainly as an observer from 2003. But it's not unusual for people to ask about non Apple devices.

Jun 16, 2009 8:37 AM in response to tago

tago wrote:
Problem is that every time I select the duplex options the red light blinks and it prints only the first side. Of course I have flipped the paper, I'm not that stupid.

Is there a control button on the printer to resume the paper feed? Somehow you have to tell the printer that you have flipped the paper and are ready to print the second side. The printer has no way of knowing if you took any action after the first side was printed.

Matt

Message was edited by: Matt Broughton

Jun 16, 2009 7:06 PM in response to rkaufmann87

This is the same "duplex" system you would use with just about any printer. I do the same thing with my 16/600 laserprinter and my HP LaserJet 5000.

I think the flashing red light is an indication that the printer is ready for printing and is waiting for you to tell the printer to print. Sort of like the manual feed function on some printers, where it waits for you to hit enter before it hits the paper that is already in the tray.

duplex printing with HP P1005, how ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.