Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom repetitions

I need to enter a repeating meeting event every month second to the last Thursday (unfortunately it is not always the third Thursday -as this July- which would make it easier to set a custom repetition). I did not find a way to configure this. Any idea?

Christian

iMac 24 Core2 2.16GHz, MacBook Pro 2.4 (2GB RAM), Mac mini,, Mac OS X (10.5.7), iPod Touch (32)

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 7:37 AM

Hi Christian,

You can set an event to recur on the second to last week of the month, but not directly through iCal's user interface.

Make an event on the second to last last Thursday of the month, then set it to repeat (custom) on the last Thursday of each month. Drag the event to the desktop and delete it from iCal. Drop the desktop copy on a text editor (eg Text Edit) and look for the line near the end:

RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1TH

and change it to

RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-2TH

Save the file and drag the it from the desktop back into iCal. It will now repeat on the second last Thursday of each month.

Best wishes

John M
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2009 7:37 AM in response to Christian Theussl

Hi Christian,

You can set an event to recur on the second to last week of the month, but not directly through iCal's user interface.

Make an event on the second to last last Thursday of the month, then set it to repeat (custom) on the last Thursday of each month. Drag the event to the desktop and delete it from iCal. Drop the desktop copy on a text editor (eg Text Edit) and look for the line near the end:

RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1TH

and change it to

RRULE:FREQ=MONTHLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-2TH

Save the file and drag the it from the desktop back into iCal. It will now repeat on the second last Thursday of each month.

Best wishes

John M

Jul 3, 2009 7:30 AM in response to Christian Theussl

A quick follow up: yesterday I recognized that I could not access my calendars online (as a Web appliccation on MobileMe). I could see emails, contacts, but as soon as I clicked on the iCal icon I get the error message that "MobileMe is unable to load your calendar...". I followed advices found on [this thread|http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1674198&tstart=0] and spent some hours troubleshooting but without success (using all my calendars with the desktop application iCal worked without problems).
I started to delete events in the past and in the future. But only as I deleted my modified repeating event the online calendar on MobileMe was working again! Don't know if I did something wrong when I modified that event, or the web application for calendars can not handle this kind of modification?

christian

Custom repetitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.