Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prohibit delivery- and read- receipts

Does anyone know how you can prohibit Mail and Entourage from sending delivery- and read- receipts.

I could only find answers to the question how you can request them yourself, what is not an issue for me.

Macbook (Pro), Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 12:31 PM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2009 12:53 PM in response to McHugo

Mail doesn't send receipts for delivered nor read mail. "Read" receipts aren't supported in any Internet email client I know of, only in proprietary messaging systems such as Outlook/Exchange.

Entourage to the best of my knowledge by default doesn't return delivery receipts either, though I might have missed it in my copy. It appears that the only way to get it to do it is by manually adding special headers.

So if you don't want to be returning receipts, you don't need to worry.

Regards.

Aug 12, 2009 9:37 PM in response to cp2006

If you launch Terminal.app (in /Applications/Utilities) and type "defaults read com.apple.mail UserHeaders" and press enter, and that command returns "The domain/default pair of (com.apple.mail, UserHeaders) does not exist," then you are not the reason that they are returning receipts to you.

Prohibit delivery- and read- receipts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.