Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

insert cells

Sorry if this is too simple for some of the issues being discussed, but all I want to do is insert some blank cells into a sheet. I don't see any way to easily do it. Can insert rows, insert copied rows, but I don't see any insert cells or insert copied cells. Am I missing something? I have just started using numbers after years of excel.

Thanks,

Tom

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 3:01 PM

No can do. You can select cells in a row and move them over to make space but there is no "insert cells" command.
5 replies

Jun 16, 2009 5:27 PM in response to tommy123

Tom,

Numbers and Excel are built on different frameworks in the sense that an Excel table/spreadsheet is virtually boundless and Numbers tables are finite and generally only as large as the data requires. Pushing some cells out of the way to make room for others has greater implications in Numbers, and it is left to the user to make room by moving the cells manually. I once counted mouse clicks to achieve the insertion in Numbers vs. Excel and the difference was small to none. Yes, Excel will move cells for you, but not until you tell it which way to move them. With Numbers you just do it yourself.

There's a nifty command pair in Numbers that helps with the job. It is +Mark for Move+ and Move.

Select the cells to be moved, Edit > Mark for Move, click to select the cell where you want the upper left cell of the range to move to and then Edit > Move.

Jerry

Aug 4, 2009 8:41 PM in response to tommy123

Not having the functionality to simply insert a cell is ridiculous. It takes twice as long to "mark for move" and then "move." This is a primary reason I am not upgrading to iWork 09 from 08. I understand that Excel and Numbers are different, but this is like not having spell check in a word processing program. Keep it simple. Less keystrokes is more.

Message was edited by: PDXSpree

Aug 4, 2009 11:18 PM in response to PDXSpree

PDXSpree wrote:
Not having the functionality to simply insert a cell is ridiculous. It takes twice as long to "mark for move" and then "move." This is a primary reason I am not upgrading to iWork 09 from 08. I understand that Excel and Numbers are different, but this is like not having spell check in a word processing program. Keep it simple. Less keystrokes is more.

As long as we're in rant mode, "fewer" keystrokes, not "less". "Less" is measured, "fewer" is counted.

And a reminder that this is a user-to-user forum, a place where there's no guarantee your post will ever be seen by an Apple employee.

If being able to "simply insert a cell" is an essential feature, this isn't the place to make that known.

Go to Apple's Numbers Feedback page, and send the feature request directly to Apple.

You can also get to that page by going to the Numbers menu in Numbers and choosing Provide Numbers Feedback.

Regards,
Barry

insert cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.