Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sirius XM Radio Applicaton? Can't find it in app store

I heard on Cousin Brucie's show tonight that there is now an application for the iphone that allows SiriusXM subscribers to listen via Iphone. I can't find it in the app store.

Louis

PC, Windows XP

Posted on Jun 17, 2009 9:35 PM

8 replies

Jun 18, 2009 3:16 PM in response to frunkis54

Heads up -- if you are a standard Sirius XM subscriber, this will NOT work for you on the iPhone -- you have to be a Premium Subscriber (i.e. you pay more per month) so that you can listen to Sirius XM on your laptop or the iPhone.

Also, the iPhone app is crippled -- there are many standard stations that are not permitted to stream on your iPhone because of licensing issues.

Certainly report back on your experiences, but I'm passing on this...

Jun 18, 2009 7:33 PM in response to funkcreep

No live sports (baseball, football, NASCAR) and no Howard Stern. I'm not even bothering with a download.

I use any of the many free audio streaming apps like Slacker, AOL Radio, FlyCast (too commercialized), iHeartRadio (CBS Stations), and the fantastic Pandora. If I'm paying for anything - I'd subscribe to Live365.com and use their great iPhone app.

I use MLB.COM AtBat 2009 for baseball games - $10 for the whole season - every radio call (both teams), and now a couple live games per day via VIDEO.

Jun 23, 2009 10:17 AM in response to Camelot

I downloaded and am currently using the XM app. I don't think it serves anyone to discuss the merits of XM/Sirius. It is what it is–I happen to love XM in my car not for music (I've got my iPhone for that, connected to my cars audio system), it's for sports, political talk (I think it must have 7 or 8 political talk shows), NPR, ESPN, and live sports (baseball and hockey).

That being said, here are some good points and bad points of the iPhone XM app.

Good

1. You can listen to a song, and then go right to iTunes store to get it. It is kind of fun.
2. There are 90-100 music and talk channels. It is entertaining on run, sitting in the office, or other places.
3. It works really well. Very nicely developed app.
4. With the subscription, I listen to XM on my Mac using the Pulsar radio player from Amoeba Software, although the XM Mac radio player works well, but seems a bit of an afterthought in design.
5. The 128Kbps streaming sounds a lot better than I imagined. It's better than FM, the old 32 and 64 Kbps streaming that XM used to have.

Bad

1. Yes it costs money. But I have 5 XM subscriptions, and having this app is going to eliminate 2 of those subscriptions, so I'm going to be way ahead. Once again, $2.95 for the music might be too much (that's why we have iPhones with an iPod functionality), but that's an individual decision. I'm paying $2.95 for political talk, ESPN, BBC Radio, MLB talk and NHL talk. I'm happy with that.
2. Remember, this isn't a replacement for a portable XM or Sirius unit. I sometimes drive out into the country, where there's no cell service (let alone 3G service), and I'm going to lose XM through my iPhone. And if you camp up in the rockies and want XM, you're going to have to have a portable unit.
3. It seems to drain battery life, given that it remains connected to the 3G network constantly. However, I can't be sure, since I just got the 3G S, which has a better life than my old 3G did.

So, I would give a big thumbs up to this app.

Jun 23, 2009 11:42 AM in response to OrangeMarlin

I extended my two-radio contract for three years back in March, with the added enticement of continuing to receive XM Online at no extra charge. Now, when I try to use the Sirius/XM iPhone app, I get a message that says "Basic Accounts Restricted." I called XM, they say that the iPhone and the computer on my desk are not the same, therefore I have to pay the extra $2.95 a month to have access on the iPhone what I can already access on my computer (Basic online, less Howard Stern). I'm escalating that with a supervisor. It's ridiculous to have to pay another subscription for something I already have access to! And, I can already get it on my iPhone with Pocket Tunes!
If they want to charge $2.95 (one-time) for the player, that would be fine, but paying another monthly fee is outrageous. I don't want Premium Online; I have no interest in listening to Howard Stern anytime, anywhere.

Sirius XM Radio Applicaton? Can't find it in app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.