7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2009 11:07 AM by RyGuy009
RyGuy009 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
My iPhone seems to have a higher temperature when I'm using my 3G to tether with my Macbook, even when my iPhone is locked. I have it in an Incase and have never been concerned with heat issues in the past. Should I be concerned?

MacBook 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, iPhone 3G 16GB, AppleTV 160GB, Time Capsule 500GB, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • 1. Re: iPhone heat
    clarkkent27 Level 2 Level 2 (425 points)
    RyGuy009 wrote:
    My iPhone seems to have a higher temperature when I'm using my 3G to tether with my Macbook, even when my iPhone is locked. I have it in an Incase and have never been concerned with heat issues in the past. Should I be concerned?

I wouldn't be that concerned. Tethering takes a lot of power and is high usage. I would be concerned if it was so hot that you could touch it. Is it warm or hot? Mine gets warm when using it for a long time as they all do.
  • 2. Re: iPhone heat
    warm i guess, my macbook get hot.
  • 3. Re: iPhone heat
    clarkkent27 Level 2 Level 2 (425 points)
    RyGuy009 wrote:
    warm i guess, my macbook get hot.

If it's warm, that is normal after heavy use. Not sure about the macbook though. I used to tether on my sony ericsson and my macbook never got hot at all.
  • 4. Re: iPhone heat
    No, my MacBook seems to get hot after heavy use, tethering or not.
  • 5. Re: iPhone heat
    Dustin Caccavari Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    How heavy of use? All computers are going to heat up after use.
  • 6. Re: iPhone heat
    gb KeyserSoze Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I wouldn't worry about it. I used to have Sony Vaio you could cook eggs on after an hour or two of use.

I always thought something was wrong with it (other than it was a PC), but that was just how it rolled.

Actually, a while back the reason they started calling them "notebook" computers and not laptops was to avoid lawsuits from people burning their legs as processor speeds increased and heat became a huge issue.

Message was edited by: gb KeyserSoze
  • 7. Re: iPhone heat
    Thanks guys