Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone stuck in recovery mode will not restore after halfway thru 3.0 downl

I had attempted to update my Iphone software from 2.2.1 to 3.0 yesterday morning
got half way through update on Iphone and came up with error msg and would not allow to go through update. Now iphone when connected to itunes indicates in recovery mode and needs to be restored, go through restore process and gets
half way (progress bar on Iphone under apple logo) and stops and comes up with msg: The iphone could not be restored and unknown error occured (2).
Does any one know what (2) means? or had this issue? had tryed on another computer and with new cable etc, still same msg.
Help please.....

XP

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 6:18 PM

14 replies

Jun 18, 2009 7:01 PM in response to Faethor

Thanks for the help but had attempted those steps heaps of times. It goes half way through the restore, gets to a point "verify iphone restore" on process
bar then drops out and comes up with error (2) Iphone has the connect to Itunes
display and when on itunes summary says: unknown size, and only displays
serial number of Iphone.

Jun 18, 2009 7:27 PM in response to JONDOWNES

This becoming increasingly frustrating now!!! It's been over 28 hours since this problem occured and no official word from Apple. If you guys go through the other posts you'll read some weird things happening with 3.0 update such as contacts, email and other apps wiped out after the upgrade. I have tried all the options and now thinking about letting the phone sit for a few days. I dont wanna lose all my things.

Keep each other posted if anything works for you!

Apple ***** 😟

Jun 18, 2009 7:52 PM in response to SamReh

I found this on another site. It worked for me.

Follow these steps to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on Mac OS X. You will need to authenticate an administrator account and password to complete these steps.

Step 1 - In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.

Step 2 - Move the iTunes icon to the Trash

Step 3 - Choose Go > Go to Folder.

Step 4 - Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.

Step 5 - Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.

Step 6 - Choose Go > Go to Folder.

Step 7 - Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.

Step 8 - Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash.
Authenticate with the admin password.

Step 9 - Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.

Step 10 - Now download & install the newest iTunes version.

Hope it helped you,
Good luck,
Enjoy your iPhone 3G

Jun 18, 2009 9:19 PM in response to JONDOWNES

I had this problem before as well. I have encountered a new problem however and since I can't figure out how to start a new thread I'm hoping you all can help me out. I have downloaded and restored by iPhone 3G, but, when it starts to put the new software on it, it tells me that it won't work unless it has a SIM card. Is there a way to get around this? I want to use my product and since Apple customer service is sorry that can't receive my support questions for some reason I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Jun 19, 2009 6:48 PM in response to JONDOWNES

Okay....so the reason our iphones won't restore is a simple one. Due to the overwhelming stress put on the activation servers due to the release of the Iphone 3GS...any Iphones trying to go through the restore or activation process will not be able to complete it at this time...I was advised to wait until after the weekend to try again....as the activation servers will be running again.

So until then...you have to wait....without a phone.

....Thanks Apple.

Jun 19, 2009 10:14 PM in response to gpmarkvii

it sure is...i got the same answer from apple support today, however, i walked into an att store, pitched a major fit about apple's support demeanor, and they took my phone in the "back room", restored it to factory settings in less than 30 min....when i got home i connected to computer and restored from prev backup no problem.....you do not have to wait the weekend out without a phone.

Jun 20, 2009 7:25 AM in response to JONDOWNES

I had mega problems too, but managed to solve them eventually. Try following creating a new user account on your computer like i did on my posting on 20/06/2009 22:33 titled "Upgrade Error number 4 and Restore Error 1603 when going to OS 3.0 - Solved"

And turn off any antivirus and firewall software too, before doing so. And also click the Restore Button on the ITunes Summary page which seems to force the iphone into an update.

Good Luck, Tony

Iphone stuck in recovery mode will not restore after halfway thru 3.0 downl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.