Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -43: Suddenly can't copy any file to my hard drive.

This error has popped up out of the blue as I've been using the hard drive to store large files for several weeks now. And then tonight, it's suddenly stopped working. Midway through copying a file, it stops, and I get this dialog box:

User uploaded file

Here's the specs of the hard drive in question:

User uploaded file

Any clue what's going on? Thanks!

Message was edited by: Jeff Ford

iMac 24" 3.06 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 4GB RAM

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 10:27 PM

7 replies

Jun 19, 2009 3:03 AM in response to Jeff Ford

HI Jeff,

How much available disk space is there? Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see
Capacity and Available. Make sure you always have a minimum of 10% to 15% free disk space at all times.

First, Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Discovered this for Error 43 also. Not sure if it applies. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2039

Carolyn 🙂

Jun 19, 2009 4:15 AM in response to Jeff Ford

A -43 is a "File not found" error. Why you're getting it when copying, I'm not sure. The one thing that I would add to Carolyn's post would be that you should repair both drives, source and destination, using the Repair Disk button in the First Aid tab of Disk Utility. If one of these drives is the boot drive, you'll need to reboot from your Mac OS X install disk in order to do the repair, though you could use Verify Disk without doing this to see if it would be necessary.

Jun 21, 2009 1:04 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, I cleared up some space on the hard drive and sure enough, I was able to copy files again with no errors! I couldn't believe this was the problem!

I have to admit though, I'm slightly bummed, as it seems I can't actually utilize the entire drive. At least not for large files. Do you know why?

Thanks again for your help! I'm just relieved to find there wasn't something actually wrong with the hard drive.

And Thomas, thanks for your help too! 🙂

Message was edited by: Jeff Ford

Jun 21, 2009 5:58 AM in response to Jeff Ford

Hi Jeff Ford;

Since you never shared any numbers with as to how much space you freed up, I will chime in with that OS X needs at least 10 GB free to function properly.

Also when you drive the free space on the disk so low you greatly increase the chances of file corruption so I strongly suggest you boot from you install media and Repair the disk using Disk Utility.

If you don't do this the file corruption can lead to some really strange problems in the future.

Allan
User uploaded file

Error -43: Suddenly can't copy any file to my hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.