Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a drive to an existing RAID5 Array.

I've added a new drive to an existing RAID5 configuration, expanded the Array with the RAID Admin utility. It recognizes it, looks good, all green. However, I'm at a loss on how to make the OS recognize the expanded array size. I'd very much like to get the new drive space available for users. I think I've done this about 2 years ago, but can't find my documentation for it. There used to be a KB article on it, but it was nearly impossible to find with out the help of support.

Can someone direct me at that, or walk me through what I need in order to get the added drive space in the array recognized by the server OS?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 4G RAM

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 10:36 AM

Before expanding and slicing you'll need to do a backup, here's the link.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=RaidAdmin/2.0/en/ra30.html
16 replies

Jun 19, 2009 10:46 AM in response to georgeeo

Thanks for the reference! However, I've already expanded the array. The RAID Admin tool shows the new drive added to the array, however, from the Finder, the size of the drive array hasn't changed. As I recall, there's a 2nd step to get the Finder/Server OS to see the additional drive space, and can't find that piece of documentation.

Once the array has been expanded with RAID Admin, how do I get the Finder/Server OS to see the additional drive space?

Jun 19, 2009 12:38 PM in response to georgeeo

This array has been expanded twice before already, it's had 2 x 500G HD's added in separate events, neither of which do I recall the 'slicing' option you're referring to. I see it in the RAID Admin tool, 1.5.1 that I'm using on this server, but the second half of making a drive ready for a RAID5 array didn't involve the RAID Admin tool. At least that's how I remember it.

So, what you're telling me is that if I've already added drives previously, I can't add again? That doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't I be able to add more drives to an array if it wasn't full yet?

Jun 23, 2009 10:23 AM in response to Lionchild

I just spoke with Apple support and the turned me on to KB Article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23145?viewlocale=en_US

The bottom line is that at this point, the party line is you have to backup, reformat, then restore. It sounds like you were both driving me in the right direction, which I didn't want to go in, but now will have to.

Additionally, the current version of RAID Admin is 1.5.1. Version 2.0 was up and valid for a while, then mysteriously disappeared and is no longer available.

Message was edited by: Lionchild

Adding a drive to an existing RAID5 Array.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.