Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN-related WiFi problem

Hi all,

Prior to upgrading to OS 3 I would join the public network at my university and then activate VPN. From that point on I had net access. Now when I join the network a browser window automatically pops up taking me to the online log-in page of my university. If I close this window then the connection is lost, so now I'm no longer able to activate VPN. Is there some setting I can change on my Touch, or is this a job for the network admin?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

iPhone OS 3.0

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 10:30 AM

6 replies

Jun 19, 2009 11:05 PM in response to mp3fan

Hi!

Same issue here. At my univerity we can manually log in through a webpage that then clears the device for Internet-Access. But even without this login the vpn-server is reachable, so the vpn connection can be made without manually logging in through the website, but with just activating vpn on the iPod. After that I could access the internet through the vpn.

This changed with the automated hotspot-login that takes control everytime you access a public wifi and a ping to www.apple.com doesn't go through.

I have sent a bug-report to apple today. lets hope that helps. This issue is related to another problem regarding the automated hotspot login:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2044951&tstart=0

Greetings from Germany.

VPN-related WiFi problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.