Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clone running Server over network

I have a co-located server which I need to ship from one location to another. I don't want to have a complete outage while the server is in transit. I was thinking that I could setup a clone of the server. I have an extra slightly underpowered older g5 (local) box at the new location. Is there a way to clone (live) the co-located server to my local machine?

x server g5, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jun 19, 2009 12:59 PM

2 replies

Jun 19, 2009 1:54 PM in response to Celia Wessen

hmm just double checked the local is running a G4 (just remembered that the G5 bit the dust last month). My primary concern is keeping the email server running while I relocate the server (my wife has her business account on the server...). I've tested a boot of Xserver from an external drive with the G4 and it runs well enough to handle the load. Now I just want to transfer all the configurations to the external (mounted locally) I figure once I test I can do a last minute update to get the latest changes before a do a switch over.

What would be the best way to clone the relevant/necessary data from the remote server to the local disk?

Clone running Server over network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.