Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Otterbox 3G case and iPhone 3GS?

Has anyone attempted to see if a 3GS will fit into the Otterbox 3G iPhone case? I read Otterbox's website and they claim they are not currently making a case for the "new 3G iPhone."

If you've tried it did you lose any functionality - does the camera still work well?

Thanks,

matchthehatch

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 6:17 AM

11 replies

Jun 20, 2009 6:25 AM in response to matchthehatch

The dimensions of the 3G & 3GS are exactly the same except for a 0.1 oz weight difference. It should work just fine. From apples site:

3GS
Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)
Weight: 4.8 ounces (135 grams)

3G
Height: 4.5 inches (115.5 mm)
Width: 2.4 inches (62.1 mm)
Depth: 0.48 inch (12.3 mm)
Weight: 4.7 ounces (133 grams)

Jun 20, 2009 6:34 AM in response to matchthehatch

A Customer Sales Rep at the AT&T store I purchased my 3GS at yesterday had the stores demo 3GS in a heavy duty OtterBox 3G. He showed us how well the phone fit and how completely it was protected then threw it out into the street. We watched amazed (and freaked out) as it bounced and tumbled to a rest. He picked it up and it was still working just fine with nary a scratch. Although I was impressed I can't imagine the jolts are too good for the components inside the phone. He also mentioned that with the heavier duty version of the case you can drop it in water and if you pull it out almost immediately it will be just fine as well.

Jun 20, 2009 10:56 AM in response to matchthehatch

the 3GS will fit in any iphone 3G case with no difference. OtterBox makes a 3G Defender case (very sturdy) but has posted that it is not making the OtterBox Armor case that it did for the original Iphone. This is maybe where the confusion is coming from as the OtterBox Armor was the sealed case that was waterproof for up to 30 minutes - the 3G and 3GS will not fit into this case, though there are many postings of people taking a drommel and adapting the case to have a secure water/sand proof case (other changes are required as well, such as removing headphone connector). The Defender, while one of the sturdiest/shock resistant cases out there, is not truly waterproof like the Armor.

Jun 20, 2009 1:10 PM in response to Sutekh1

I have the Otter Box and had no problems converting to the 3GS yesterday. Pictures and videos are as advertised. Once my 3G with the Otter Box fell out of my truck into the grass and I didn't know it until I found it face down with a tire track across the back of the Otter box case. I picked up the phone and powered it up without one problem ever!

Message was edited by: JEP2

Jun 20, 2009 4:17 PM in response to Tim McFarland

for the original iphone when you put it in the otterbox Armor (again not the otterbox Defender, which is made for the 3G/S) you would either have to use headphones to answer a call or click to speakerphone as a sealed headphone jack was inserted into your iPhone when you place it into the case. Still it was the best case ever for going to the beach and hooking speakers up to ur iphone and texting (completely sealed so no sand can get in), or on a boat.

Jun 26, 2009 9:53 PM in response to matchthehatch

I picked up a Otterbox Defender and my 3GS and it fits in it like a glove. I would highly recommend this case to anybody who has a iPhone. It is extremely rugged and durable! I have no fears of anything happening to my phone. Even tested it out by dropping it on the ceramic tiles a few times, and not a scratch or ding to the phone!
Someone was asking if you can still use the phone without headsets or something. The phone works exactly the same in the box as it does out of the box. There's just a little more bulk. You can still access the ear phone jack, silence switch and iPhone cable plugin very easily. The lock button on the top, the volume buttons on the side and the home button on the bottom all have silicone nubs that press the actual buttons below them. Works like a charm.

Jun 26, 2009 10:22 PM in response to Tim McFarland

Can you use your phone like a regular phone in your Otterbox, or do you have to use a headset of some kind? The review Mac World put out says you can't just put the phone up to your head to talk, because of the plug.

Not true at all. You use it as usual. The only problem is when using speakerphone, there sometimes is distortion or an echo. The solution is to loosen the dock port plug when using speakerphone. Using the earpiece by placing the phone to your ear functions normally without loosening the plug.

Another issue is the "oil slick" appearance when the built-in screen cover partially adheres to the iPhone screen. The recommended solution is to rub the screen with your palm or face to get oil on it. This doesn't work with the 3GS due to the oleophobic coating on the screen. The best answer is to use Power Support anti-glare screen protector, which has worked perfectly for me so far.

Otterbox 3G case and iPhone 3GS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.