Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes sync doesn't detect conflicting changes?

Though it is finally possible to sync notes between your iPhone and your Mac, it doesn't work as expected for me : if the same note is modified on the iPhone and the Mac, the next sync will silently erase the iPhone note with the note from the iMac, whereas I would have expected that an error would be raised because of conflicting updates.

Can anyone confirm this behaviour? If confirmed, I would consider this as a serious bug...

iMac alu 2.0 GHz 20" screen, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Original iPhone and OS 3.0

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 7:49 AM

12 replies

Jun 20, 2009 2:54 PM in response to SantafeNM

{quote:title=SantafeNM wrote:}
I was surprised by this as well. I created additions to a "to do" list in notes on the iPhone and later synced via iTunes. All the additions on the iPhone were eliminated and not updated on the iMac mail notes.{quote}
I am not sure that we have the same behaviour: if I modify the note ONLY on the iPhone, the changes are copied back to the Mac. It is only if I modify a note on both that the iPhone changes get lost. What did you do exactly: modify the note on both the iPhone and the Mac?

Jun 20, 2009 2:59 PM in response to Pascal_Sartoretti

This is very strange. After syncing and disconnecting from iTunes and then finding the problem described above about the lack of a conflict warning I searched here for an answer. Some 20 minutes later (after iTunes has been closed and the iPhone disconnected) the conflict error message with choices to resolve them popped up. So it is there but just was buggy for me.

Jun 21, 2009 11:44 PM in response to Pascal_Sartoretti

Update: surprisingly, conflicting changes to notes are correctly detected when syncing an iPhone with a Windows PC running Outlook 2003. A nice comparison window is displayed, and allows to choose which modifications should be kept.

It is the first time that I see an iPhone/iPod feature that works better on a PC than a Mac 😟

Notes sync doesn't detect conflicting changes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.