Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 2G with OS 3.0 on 2009 BMW iDrive

All,

Started having lots of problems with my 2G Touch device after updating to 3.0 and trying to connect to 2009 BMW iDrive system. The care is an 09 335xi Coupe with latest iDrive.

Connecting a 3.0 device using the BMW 6FL adapter no longer allows the car to recognize the ipod.

When manually controlling the ipod while connected to the 6FL adapter, you can see "Accessory connected" which immediately disappears and reappears signaling some sort of handshaking problem with the 2G and the car.

Tried to restore 3.0 to default settings, resync and attach to car. No dice.

Ended up having to downgrade to 2.2.1 in DFU mode and everything works again.

BMW does not appear (yet) to have a tech bulletin on this.

Seeing posts of success with 3G iPhone and 3G S IPhones, so much of this could possibly be related to the Touch 2G vs iPhones.

Any thoughts from anyone on here or other things to try?

Ron

iPod Touch 2G, iPhone OS 3.0

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 10:14 AM

33 replies

Jun 24, 2009 2:57 PM in response to RonRed89

You can add Honda to the list -- using a 32GB 2G Touch with 3.0, was fine with 2.2.1 in 2009 Fit.

I should point out that I was able to get 3.0 to work with my factory Honda iPod interface, but only when I only had about 100 songs on it. This shows that it does work, but once I filled my Touch back up to capacity it stopped working. I've tried manual mode, auto-sync, 1/2 full, no playlists, restoring multiple times, restoring as a new iPod -- nothing makes it work unless there's hardly anything on the device. I guess I'll have to try DFU mode to go back ...

Jun 24, 2009 4:21 PM in response to RonRed89

I have encountered this exact same problem with my 2009 BMW E93. After updating to 3.0, my iPod Touch 2G (32GB) is no longer recognized by the car through the dedicated connector. I also have an older iPod Touch (1G) that I have not yet upgraded to the new firmware and it continues to work flawlessly in the same BMW as it has in the past. Bugs!

Jun 24, 2009 7:59 PM in response to RonRed89

Me too. Except I have a 2008 BMW 335 Sports coupe and a 32 gig ipod touch 1st gen. I did find one work around though it stinks. If I power off the touch and power it back on - then connect it it works until I turn off the car. Still I want a real fix...anyone contacted BMW dealer on this? maybe there is BMW update ..I am sure apple will take about 3-5 months for one. THey always take a long time on updates like this...we will see.

Jun 27, 2009 1:10 AM in response to RonRed89

Any one have link on how to revert to 2.2.1 firmware on a mac? Also I have appointment with BMW on Wednesday next week so will first wait for that to see if they have fix before reverting. Anyone else heard from or tried to contact BMW service? Also I do have a clear work around that works with my 1st gen touch 32gig. Turn off car. Disconnect pod, turn off pod(hold down top button then slide it to off when it comes up with option to turn off). Then Turn on car and turn on pod not connected to car. Make sure car is on something other than aux like fm is what I use. Then once pod is on connect it to cars ipod connector. Now switch to aux and it should work....may have to hit usb as option...(every once and a while mine requires it). Now the bad news. Every-time you turn off car you have to do this again when you turn it on again (so remember to disconnect pod before turning on car). Let me know if anyone else finds this to work with their ipod touch please. Good luck - still surprised there is not more mention of this problem on the web cant believe that a lot of BMW users dont also have ipod touches for use in their car.

Jul 1, 2009 11:13 PM in response to RonRed89

Went and took car to BMW dealer. They plugged away at service Database and tried a few things in garage to no avail. They dont have any ideas - they promised me they would research a solution or at least suggest a new list of compatible ipods so I can buy a new one. I tried reverting to 2.2.1 and had no luck at all it ended up back at 3.0 after an hour and a half of resyncing. I cant find any mention of a legitimate procedure to do this on mac. All that i find say you need to "jailbreak" you pod and break warranty. Mine still has warranty and would prefer not to tank the warranty for this...Any one know how to downgrade in a more 'kosher' manner? I cant even find 2.2.1 firmware to install...only hacked version of 2.2.1. Some also say you need to revert your itunes to 8.0 from 8.2 - this is crazy - how are people doing this? Oh well no music control....good ole minijack for now.

Jul 5, 2009 5:46 AM in response to RonRed89

Please do what "F Shippey" suggested above. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

My aftermarket Sony head unit no longer recognizes the ipod. The only reason I bought this particular unit was for the ipod touch compatibility. I reverted back to 2.2.1 software and all is well once again!!!!!

But the issues stated does need to be addressed on Apples end in my opinion. So DROP THEM A LINE!

iPod Touch 2G with OS 3.0 on 2009 BMW iDrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.