Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while encoding movies

Yes, I've seen virtually every topic pertaining to this and dozens of people have gone through it. I, however, can't get an answer for me. I'm trying to burn this project using iDVD, of course. It's a few videos one of my professors sent out and I downloaded them, they're in .mp4 format. I used the "modern" theme and added pics to the menu, a submenu with pics as well, and music for both menus. I tried to burn it and after it was encoding the menu video asset and started to encode the videos, I get an error saying "There was an error during movie encoding". Any help? I would gladly appreciate it because I've had this problem every time I try burning .mp4 videos with iDVD.

20-inch iMac (2.4 GHz), 250 GB HDD, 2GB DDR RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 20, 2009 1:28 PM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2009 4:08 AM in response to Warheart1188

Hi

I would convert the .mp4 movies to streamingDV and use them.

Else

*Not knowing the origin to Your problem - General approach when in trouble is as follows.*

• Free space on internal (start-up) hard disk if it is less than 10Gb should rather have 25Gb

• Hard disk is untidy. Repair Permissions, Repair Hard disk (Apple Disc Util tool)

• Delete iDVD pref file - *or rather start a new user/account* - log into this and re-try

iDVD pref file resides. Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences and is named.
com.apple.iDVD.plist
While iDVD is NOT RUNNING - move this file out to desk-top.
Now restart iDVD.

• Program miss-match. iDVD 5.0.2, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.5.5 - is OK - DON’T work under Leopard
• Program miss-match. iDVD 6.0.4, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.5.5 - is OK (might work under Leopard)
• Program miss-match. iDVD’08 v. 7.0.1, Mac OS X.4.11 AND QuickTime 7.5.5 - is OK (might work under Leopard)

• iDVD (08) v7 Locate theme folder. Move out iDVD1, iDVD 2 and eventually iDVD4 folders to desktop - re-try

• Try a Cleaning CD/DVD that cleans the laser lens on the DVD burner/player

iDVD 6.0.4 and iDVD 7.0.1 are compatible with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Last resort. from Craig. Solved the problem!! Finally!!
I deleted every iDVD application and folder from my boot drive,
emptied the trash and then installed iDVD 08 using the customize option
and I am up and running.

If You do a re-install be sure to get rid of all iDVD old parts AND then EMPTY the Trash-basket !

Yours Bengt W

Jun 25, 2009 1:58 AM in response to Warheart1188

I found that I can avoid any failure during the encoding by DROPPING the files straight onto the open iDVD title page. Preferably via iMovie where I also create my chapters.

So- I import my MOV or MP4 files to iMovie, set up chapters, save project, close project, launch iDVD, set up my theme, drag and drop the iMovie project onto it and voilas. Sorted.

Not sure that this will address your problem but it was worth a shot.

🙂

Error while encoding movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.