Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Audio Echo problem

My MB has suddenly started emitting an echo sound on all audio. i noticed it first whilst using logic and thought i must've had a delay plugin instantiated, which i did not. i then tested on itunes, quicktime player and all other audio generating programs... the echo is on everything. it's not a massive echo, but it is clearly noticeable when i have instruments or drums soloed in Logic or am auditioning sounds in finder. Obviously i cannot continue to produce music on the system whilst this problem remains.

I have bootcamp on the MB also and the problem does not exist when running audio programs in windows.

Any ideas??

aj ok

MacPro 2.8 Ghz 8 core 6GB, Macbook 2.4Ghz 2GB, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Logic 8, M Audio FW 1814, Novation Remote 37 SL

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 1:09 AM

6 replies

Jun 22, 2009 3:06 AM in response to AJ OK

Don't know if this would be of any help but worth a shot if you haven't done this already.

In Utilties, open Audio/MIDI Setup, under the audio tab.

Make sure you're running under Internal clock, not sure if that Macbook has digital I/O. If so, flip it between Digital and back to internal. Check the Speaker configuration, make sure you're running stereo. Also make sure the "Thru' checkbox is not selected and "Line In" is your selected Input.

pancenter-

Jun 26, 2009 10:29 AM in response to AJ OK

I'm also interested in the solution to this - I have a similar problem. My audio isn't playign in stereo anymore, but it seems to be a software problem because everything is fine in Windows. I created a test audio file with sound in the left channel only, and it plays out both (although the right channel has significant echo; I'd almost describe it as sounding like a stereo with speakers hooked up out of phase).

Interestingly, I reinstalled the OS a week ago, and the problem was fixed (for a while). Sometime after that, when I was installing software and whatnot, it went back to this weird mono with echo. So, last night I did an archive and install of the OS, and it was fine again - until I ran software update (installing 10.5.7 and the other current fixes). This morning when I rebooted to finish the updates, it's back the way it was. I haven't made any other changes.

I'm wondering if we have the same problem? I'm wondering what software you have installed - to be honest, the only things that I can think of that would mess with audio are iTunes, VLC, Toast, Skype, and maybe Adium? Beyond that, I don't have any particularly exotic installs. How about you? Match anything on my list? Maybe we can narrow this down.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jun 28, 2009 10:15 PM in response to mmajarian

hey mmajarian,

unlike yourself i have a lot of audio related software installed on my macbook... logic, ableton, and many third party audio instruments and plugins. they have never caused any problems however... until i installed 10.5.7.

apart from that the only change i have made recently is installing windows on a bootcamp partition. i did this around the same time as i updated to 10 5 7. as with yourself, my audio in windows is behaving perfectly, but i'm getting echo in osx, rendering it unusable for music production

Macbook Audio Echo problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.