Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Degrading audio quality on 24" LCD

I have a problem with the audio on my 24" LCD. At the start of my working day I fire up iTunes and listen to music while working. As the day wears on the quality of the sound gradually degrades. It sounds like a 'blown speaker', the kind of staticy interference on the highs. A sleep of the host Mac and resume fixes the issue, or a disconnect of the monitor USB cable and re-insert does the same.

I think this is new with 10.5.7, but only had the LCD for a week or so before the .7 upgrade.

Does anyone have any similar experience? Or confirmation that you can play music continuously under 10.5.7 to the 24" LCD.

Thanks in advance.

Macbook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 5:31 AM

23 replies

Jan 12, 2015 6:04 AM in response to CommanderB

This is what I have discovered and this may or may not be your solution.

When I udpated my macbook Al from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 I had the monitor and corresponding USB (which also provides the audio support through this connection to the monitor) this caused the problem with the audio among other problems such as processing was slower. Why?: Apparently there is a bug in 10.5.7 and when you update you should download the 10.5.7 combo updater from

here http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacOS_X_10_5_7_ComboUpdate

and have no peripherals of any kind pluged-in (including the 24" display).

In order for this to work I backed up my computer - did a clean OS install of 10.5 from the disk and performed the combo update with nothing installed on my macbook (including the 24" screen). Now everything works flawlessly and the system is much speedier. Please note after migrating my files out of precaution I used "Leopard Cache Cleaner" tools to repair settings and permissions that may conflict from the old install and the new one.

36 hours and problems seemed to be solved!

Good 🙂 luck!

Message was edited by: hotarucreative

Jan 12, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Nadav

Power? Air you using a hub that these speakers connect to? If so, isnt a powered usb hub? Did you perform a clean os install? Just reinstall 10.5.7 combo over 10.5.7 will not fix it. I used my bose companion 5s with no issue as well.

Jul 21, 2009 8:34 AM in response to Community User

Well, originally I didn't have 10.5.7, this was my first install of the combo 10.5.7. As I said, I am just going to use my external speakers as they are 1000 times more powerful than the monitor's internal speakers.

And, no I have nothing connected to the USB HUB in the back of the monitor, as anything over 500mAH will take out my isight camera.

Jan 12, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Nadav

Hmmm.... that isn't right as I utilize the hub on the back of the monitor plus I have a 7 port powered hub "daisy chained" from the monitor's hub and run speakers and hard drives from 7 port powered hub with no conflicts (this includes my isight). I am assuming you are use the macbook aluminum is that correct?

Without being in front of your system my first guess would be either a program of sorts is conflicting or your OS installation is corrupt (solution: clean install if diskwarrior 4.1.1 can't sort it out and/or less invasive means prove to be too time consuming). If a clean install doesn't solve the issues then I would move from software being the problem and explore hardware issues like the usb module on the logic board.

My steps would be
1. clean os install from your disk - with no peripherals connected this includes the monitor
2. update os using combo updater then update all stock programs via the updater
3. install peripherals one by one monitor being first.
4. install your 3rd party programs one by one testing your peripherals and computer function after each program install - that way you can isolate a program that may be the culprit.
5. if problems still exist especially with the computer back to factory - I would then move to diagnosing hardware yourself or with apple.

Jul 21, 2009 9:16 AM in response to Community User

No, I am using a Mac Pro with the ATI Radeon 4870 w/MDP. Tried OS re-installation, no dice. Brought back the 1st LED cinema display and reported it as being defective. It appears that the monitor's hub is too weak to support an external drive. Besides, I am not into plugging stuff in the back of my monitor, so I will just get an external usb hub and plug it in the back of the computer.

As for my logic board on my mac pro? Again, I used Apple Service Diagnostic and AHT and all my computer usb ports are fine. Even tested my keyboard and other devices in them. Right now, everything works great. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Degrading audio quality on 24" LCD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.