Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

animated graphics not working

I have created multiple presentations in PowerPoint with animated graphics from Microsoft clips online. I imported these presentations into Keynote (as I like this program much better but don't wish to recreate every project) and the graphics that are supposed to be animated don't move. Is there a program when going from PPT to Keynote and losing the animation of the graphics? Anyway to recover that?

Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 12:03 PM

1 reply

Aug 11, 2009 1:43 PM in response to DrMarsha

The problem occurs because the animated GIFs from the clips online library are not coming across as GIFs when imported into Keynote. They are being converted to static PNG images.

I've spent a few minutes playing with this and have found the following:

1. GIFs in PowerPoint files get converted to PNGs in Keynote
2. Copying the GIF in PowerPoint and pasting into Keynote also results in a PNG. It's not clear if this is due to what PowerPoint is putting on the clipboard or if Keynote is just refusing to play, and is converting the contents of the clipboard into a PNG.
3. If you drag an animated GIF file from the Finder into Keynote, it is correctly treated as an animation clip and the QuickTime controls for looping/playback etc. all work as if it was a movie file.

It is possible to grab the original animated GIFs from the Microsoft clips online web pages (rather than the proprietary .cil file that they normally get packaged into for download) but it involves using the web inspector in Safari (turn on the "Develop" menu in Safari preferences) and wading through the ludicrous mess of nested tables that the clips online site is made up of; whoever built that thing should be ashamed of themselves, but I digress!

Alternatively, depending on how you added the original clip files to PowerPoint, you may find them in /Applications/Microsoft Office 200(x)/Clipart/Personal/

Hope this helps.

Message was edited by: maddog uk69

animated graphics not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.