Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I put a 3g sim into a 2g phone (temporarily)?

My daughter has a 3G with a broken screen. We need to send it off to be repaired.

I have a 2G that I recently deactivated when I bought a 3Gs.

Can she put her 3G sim into my old 2G phone and continue to make and receive calls while her 3G is being repaired?

iMac 24 2.8Ghz, iPhone 3.0, TV, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Parallels 4.0.3540 with XP, Panasonic HDC-SD5

Posted on Jun 23, 2009 12:36 PM

5 replies

Jun 23, 2009 1:51 PM in response to AppleMan1958

The SIM is just a SIM. 3G, Edge, no difference, the card does not enable the particular data network. It allows the network to identify who is who. Heck, my iPhone has a SIM clearly labeled "3G", and it works just fine. And although I am sure they will find a way, who is AT&T to complain that your daughter is using their slower data network for a while? 😉

The plan you have connected to that SIM is an iPhone plan, and will be used in an iPhone.

Jun 23, 2009 6:08 PM in response to AppleMan1958

Thanks for the help, but so far it is not working. I have been on the phone with AT&T to see if they can suggest something.

When i change the Sim card it locks the phone and shows a diagram that says to plug into itunes. Emergency outbound calls will work.

When I plug into iTunes it insists on my registering a new 2g data plan for the phone.

ATT has committed to calling me tomorrow with a solution. It looks like they may have me set up the 2g plan and then credit my account. I am so far pleased with the support from iPhone Support anf the local AT&T call center.

Jun 24, 2009 1:09 PM in response to AppleMan1958

I was on the phone with ATT this afternoon and they got it working. They had to do some work in their end withe the IMEI number. Then I had to activate the phone through iTunes and pick the $20 iPhone plan. They had to manually adjust the billing so that my daughter does not break her 2 year contract.

When the repaired 3G comes back, we will switch the sim cards again, and reactivate the 3G through iTunes.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Can I put a 3g sim into a 2g phone (temporarily)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.