Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't make a tethered connection via Bluetooth

I have been able to make a tethered connection via USB but can't connect via Bluetooth.
The phone and the Mac appear to pair correctly but when I try to connect I get 'cannot connect...' messages and I don't see any activity on the phone.
One area of concern is the settings shown in the Bluetooth control panel which lists 'Handsfree gateway' as the only service. I would expect something like 'Dial up networking' to appear here but I may be wrong.
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks in advance,
Gordon.

Posted on Jun 23, 2009 3:31 PM

8 replies

Jun 27, 2009 4:07 AM in response to Gordon Maynard

I'm still working on this one, I've followed the Apple KB article on the subject, including deleting and recreating the pairing betweek the MB and the iPhone but no luck.
The KB articke has the following section:

C+onnect to the network:+
+In Mac OS X+
+Click the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, choose your iPhone, and then choose Connect to network.+

and when I get to this part the "Connect to network" menu option is greyed out.
Any thoughts, anyone?

Jun 28, 2009 10:47 AM in response to Gordon Maynard

Oh thank GOODNESS I'm not the only one!

I have the iPhone 3G S 32GB on 3G.

This is very frustrating and I'm getting exactly the same symptoms as you.

When I first tried tethering via Bluetooth it did work but then stopped and now it just wont work. It also shows up as "Handsfree Gateway" yet it should show up as "Bluetooth PAN" (According to the Apple Support Website).

It's like the phone has forgotten this profile however when you first pair to the computer it does say that the phone can share it's internet connection.

I've tried restoring the phone, I've removed the bluetooth profiles over and over from the phone and both my MacBook Pro and iMac and still no go.

Cable tethering works fine however on both.

Is there a solution to this?

Message was edited by: auscraig

Jun 29, 2009 9:39 PM in response to Gordon Maynard

Hi Gordon,

A question... are you using a Bluetooth Apple Mighty Mouse?

This morning I accidentally discovered that if I tried connecting my iphone via Bluetooth tethering while also having a bluetooth mighty mouse connected it would fail.

If I went into my bluetooth settings and disconnected the Mighty Mouse connection...(not just turned the mouse off but actually selected "Disconnect") tethering would then work no problem.

You can THEN go back into bluetooth and connect your mouse again and it will work fine.

I've found (on my iMac and MacBook Pro) that I cannot initiate Bluetooth Tethering while the Mighty Mouse is connected via Bluetooth but the tethering stays working if you connect the mouse after tethering is established.

I've advised Apple and much to their surprise - they agreed when they tried at their end. They said they will pass this onto the people that write the patches and hopefully soon it will be fixed.

For now I hope that fix applies to you and helps you and others.

Regards

Craig

Jun 30, 2009 7:35 AM in response to auscraig

Hi, Craig,
Thanks for the replies and I'm glad to hear that least you have a workaround (and that Apple seem to acknowledge there is more work to do in this area).
I don't have any other BT devices on the MacBook I'm trying to tether with so this isn't a solution for me. You have, however, encouraged me to keep trying!
Regards,
Gordon.

Jul 5, 2009 2:48 PM in response to tsa72

Hi, all,
Ominously the KB article on this subject:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2756

says this about what to do in the event that BT tethering does not work:

"Verify that Internet tethering works over USB in the steps above. If it does, consider using Internet tethering over USB for now."

In other words, the official advice is to give up and use USB.
Sounds like this is something which will be fixed in the future, I'll have to carry round that little white cable for now.
I'm still interested in case anyone does come up with a fix or workaround!

Aug 9, 2009 1:11 AM in response to Albyspace

I fix the problem, in my case my macbook, when I paired it with iphone 3G, didn't add automatically the bluetooth PAN port in preferences>Network even if I check the use network connection while pairing the devices.
I just go to Network preferences and add a new port, the first one i see called Bluetooth PAN, and then I'm able to use tethering via Bluetooth too, also with Mighty mouse connected.

see you
Alberto Nadali

Can't make a tethered connection via Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.