Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calibrating Apple Cinema Display for Video Editing

What's the procedure to calibrate an Apple Cinema Display for editing in FCP (editing and preliminary color grading)?

My camcorder can produce color bars, but I can't hook it up directly to the monitor. Shall I record color bars and use the recorded clip to calibrate? What's the procedure regarding calibration?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, G5, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Jun 24, 2009 10:22 AM

7 replies

Jun 24, 2009 1:23 PM in response to Stefan Immler

The need to "calibrate" a display for video "editing" is a complete fallacy. There is no need to have accurate images when plopping pictures and graphics next to each other to create a story in a linear fashion. For accuracy you need a dedicated input/output device with a display that represents your intended delivery; projection, broadcast, whatever. If your intended delivery is web or phone only, well, it's a total rodeo where the word "consistency" has no meaning at all.

The MXO, it puts a look up table on a computer monitor and then does some other electronic mumbo jumbo to simulate interlacing and other tv junk. I call it lipstick on a pig, others here will give it high marks.

The only real constant is that if you want to play in the world of "hd", the costs are bigger than in "sd" and is the return on investment worth it?

z.

Calibrating Apple Cinema Display for Video Editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.