Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

After Hard System Freeze, Login Screen is Pinstriped and Unresponsive

3249 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2010 10:09 AM by Neil2 RSS
Neil2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 24, 2009 9:30 PM
I had a hard freeze on Sunday on my G5/2x2 PowerMac running 10.5.6. I could move the mouse, but nothing else on the system responded. The dock wouldn't even unhide. I couldn't force quit anything. So, I shut down the system using the button on the Mac. When I tried to start the Mac, I got to the login screen, but it had a pinstripe and then froze on the screen with the Apple, but no login screen. I tried booting with the shift key. Same. Then, I tried booting from the internal back-up drive and a got a pinstriped screen with a question marked folder, then the same freeze. The same happened when I attached a firewire boot drive and tried to boot holding cmd-opt-shift-del. Same result. Any ideas? Thanks.
PowerMac G5/2x2, a MacBook C2D/2.0, iPhone 3GS, 1st & 5th gen iPods, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • nerowolfe Level 6 Level 6 (13,070 points)
    Neil2 wrote:
    I wanted to try to boot from the system install disc, but I don't know how to open the drive tray in order to insert the disc.

Doesn't the tray open key work?
    You may have suffered a logic or motherboard failure, or perhaps a partial power supply failure.
    Be sure all non-essential peripherals are unplugged and try doing a PRAM reset.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379
    MacBookPro3,1-17"Core2Duo/VistaUlt64SP1; MacBookPro1,1-15"/XPProSP3; Dual G5/XPP, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Homebrew 3GHz ASUS PC, Dell Inspiron8k, Abacus, Sliderule, HP-50G

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.