Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Hard System Freeze, Login Screen is Pinstriped and Unresponsive

I had a hard freeze on Sunday on my G5/2x2 PowerMac running 10.5.6. I could move the mouse, but nothing else on the system responded. The dock wouldn't even unhide. I couldn't force quit anything. So, I shut down the system using the button on the Mac. When I tried to start the Mac, I got to the login screen, but it had a pinstripe and then froze on the screen with the Apple, but no login screen. I tried booting with the shift key. Same. Then, I tried booting from the internal back-up drive and a got a pinstriped screen with a question marked folder, then the same freeze. The same happened when I attached a firewire boot drive and tried to boot holding cmd-opt-shift-del. Same result. Any ideas? Thanks.

PowerMac G5/2x2, a MacBook C2D/2.0, iPhone 3GS, 1st & 5th gen iPods, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jun 24, 2009 9:30 PM

6 replies

Jun 25, 2009 4:06 PM in response to Neil2

Neil2 wrote:
I wanted to try to boot from the system install disc, but I don't know how to open the drive tray in order to insert the disc.

Doesn't the tray open key work?
You may have suffered a logic or motherboard failure, or perhaps a partial power supply failure.
Be sure all non-essential peripherals are unplugged and try doing a PRAM reset.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Jun 25, 2009 6:26 PM in response to nerowolfe

I pulled my PCI card and unplugged the second internal hard drive and tried to restart. I still get stuck on the grey screen with the Apple logo. The Mac made hardly any noise. If I recall correctly, it used to make a lot of noise on startup. I didn't think of the power supply, but maybe you are right.

I also tried to zap the PRAM, but the screen stayed black the whole time (more than two minutes) until I released the keys. Could the problem be the battery? I don't think I've changed it in years.

Jun 26, 2009 4:10 PM in response to Neil2

In my original post I said that, after the hard freeze, I restarted my Mac and got to the login screen. I did NOT get to the login. I meant to say that I got to the grey screen with the Apple logo. I don't know if that makes any difference in diagnosing the problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: Also, when I tried to zap the PRAM, the system never chimed. As I said, the screen stayed black the whole time and I held the keys for more than two minutes, which is way longer than it should take based on my experience from back in the 1990's. I don't remember having to do it since I switched to Mac o/s X.

Message was edited by: Neil2

Jun 27, 2009 4:38 PM in response to Neil2

UPDATE: I bought a new half AA battery to replace the old one. I still have the same problem. I have the positive terminal facing the front of the Mac. Does anybody remember the proper orientation? I installed it that way because it looked like there was a spring loaded terminal in the back.

If the battery isn't the problem, I can only hope that it's the power supply.

After Hard System Freeze, Login Screen is Pinstriped and Unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.