Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio out, usb/firewire, apogee duet

Hi all,
We need a fairly simple audio out for our two macbook pros. we use the earphone mini out, but i am pretty sure that this earphone port is limited somehow, and the sound quality would be noticeably higher if we use instead the usb or firewire ports with an interface. so we need to get two.
I read in the forums here and saw this lauded - Apogee Duet FireWire Audio Interface.
In addition to all its other capabilities, would this serve simply as a high-quality audio out? really better than the mini earphone out?

this is for a live situation, using keyboards (kurzweil sp2x) to play Mainstage (thru USB) with logic/garageband samples.

thanks all in advance, for any comments/opinions.

p

macbook pro intel, 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Jun 25, 2009 6:43 AM

7 replies

Jul 7, 2009 9:12 AM in response to pulot pulot1

I would STRONGLY advise against the Apogee Duet. Many people, including myself, have been burned by this unit, as it makes a huge amount of hiss and self-noise. When you send it in to Apogee, at your own expense, they send it back, over and over again, with exactly the same problem, hoping that you will just give up in frustration.

Search this forum, or google, "Apogee duet hiss", and you will read all the horror stories.

Jul 7, 2009 10:25 AM in response to thomas2222

On the contrary to the above post... I would highly recommend an Apogee product, over pretty much anything else in the price range. A very small percentage of people claim to have noise issues with the Duet, and in my opinion it comes down to your entire setup and is not an inherent problem with the Duet. I use good equipment and a power conditioner, my Duet is clear as crystal.

Regardless, this so-called issue would be irrelevant to your live application... but I think the Duet may be overkill for what you are trying to do. Not to mention with 2 laptops you would need to buy 2 Duets at $500 each (or as low as $400 depending on where you shop/who you know).

I don't know if there is a better option (regarding the two interfaces) for your particular application, but yes it will significantly improve sound quality.

You may want to research the Apogee ONE... it's not out yet, but I believe it comes out later this month and it's basically a smaller, single-channel version of the Duet. It's not released yet so nobody really knows how the quality is going to be, but they're supposed to be $250 each... that might be a great option because it sounds like you just need a couple of good, portable D-A converters.

Edit: By the way the Duet is firewire and the ONE is USB.

Message was edited by: AecDuck

Jul 7, 2009 2:17 PM in response to Zuelito

Keeping on topic though... the OP is looking for an interface strictly for output purposes. The Duet is a great little peice of hardware, but wouldn't it be overkill for this application? The Apogee ONE would be a cheaper option but is there an interface out there that can output from two different sources? I would suggest posting this question on the MainStage board to see if there's a better option, seems like you'd find more people there who use their rigs for live audio. See what they use as an output device.

Feb 13, 2010 12:33 PM in response to pulot pulot1

Went with the Apogee Duets. They seem to work great, not one problem and very good sound. Mind you, we were using them so far in not the best live sound environment, so the high quality would not be so evident. But i have used them also at home, and it's a difference with the normal Mac audio (earphone) out, certainly. thanks a lot for all the replies.

-p

audio out, usb/firewire, apogee duet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.