Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't re-post saved site

A while back I took down a site from my dot mac page and saved the folder for the site on my desk top. I'd like to put the site back up but can't figure out how to get it back into iWeb to post. I dropped the folder back into the iDisk/Web/Sites/iWeb/Site where the other site folders are are but when I open iWeb (09), only the other sites show up in the project window. Any suggestions?

I am

Mac OS X (10.5.5), Mac OS 10.5.7 (this was not an option in the drop down menu)

Posted on Jun 25, 2009 8:19 PM

2 replies

Jun 26, 2009 12:19 AM in response to jrc362

jrc362 wrote:
...and saved the folder for the site on my desk top.

You saved the wrong file — only iWeb's Domain file can be opened in iWeb. See this Apple doc on How to back up MobileMe data. It says:

Any websites you have published with iWeb should still be available within iWeb. iWeb stores everything in a Domain file, normally located in the ~/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder (although it can be moved). If you no longer have this file, you can view your currently published pages and manually recreate them within iWeb, but there is no way to import published pages back into iWeb. You can manually back up the Domain file, or use Backup to back it up.

This Apple doc also applies to iWeb '09:

_iWeb ’08: Backing up your Domain file_

If you've been running Time Machine or _other backup methodology_, look for ".sites" which is the hidden file extension of iWeb Domain files.

If no luck, paragraph 2.3 of this FAQ page gives some tips on how to use published files, graphics, photos, etc., to help rebuild the site from scratch:

http://iwebfaq.org/site/iWebBackupretrieve.html

By the way, in your Public Profile you say:
"Mac OS 10.5.7 (this was not an option in the drop down menu)"

...It is an option now.

User uploaded file

Can't re-post saved site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.