Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Wifi Antenna Mod To 2009 Mac Mini

Yeah,

The two external panel antennas on my 2009 mini sure help to bring in an Internet connection that my friend beams past me from at least a few hundred yards.

I did a similar mod to the early PPC mini, but only used a single, loose lead out on that one, which probably didn't have any impact on the warranty.

But on the new mini, with its two antennas, I mounted two SMA connectors onto the computer, which voids the Apple warranty. But I like it better "fixed", than loose, for a couple of reasons.

These kind of mods aren't too unheard of, but I haven't seen anyone else do it in the fixed manner on the 2009 mini or any other mini.

Anyway, I typed up an impression of the 2009 Mac mini impression and gave an overview of the WiFi modification, with helpful photos. The file is an 8 page PDF, so it isn't instant loading. Here's the link, though:

http://tiny.cc/Ma8Fv

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

2009 Mac Mini, PPC Mac Mini

Posted on Jun 26, 2009 11:46 AM

8 replies

Jun 27, 2009 9:16 PM in response to Christian Livingstone

so you have new mini...Ok, heres my question...I receive hotspot wifi in my home because I live in town. I have one hotspot account. I have 2 airport extreme base stations. and a few other macs
now..... Mini is main computer, signal is poor if any and would like to modify. Where do i get cable for airport card, Should I put a single antana to the cable outside window next to mini for better signal, or inside. can I just share account among other macs with ethernet port sharing or airport or bluetooth? and How? I know it is alot and some off topic but that is the story
THanks

Jun 27, 2009 10:41 PM in response to Modmom32

Gee,

It sounds like you've got a lot going on.

I'm guessing that, since you have two Airport Basestations, it would probably be best to just disconnect the internal, omindirectional antenna in one of those and connect a better, directional antenna via a pigtail and short cable, while pointing it toward the hotspot source, via an unobstructed outdoor mounting, if possible.

Then you could connect your Mini or PB via an Ethernet cable. Or, you could then plug the Basestation into those Ethernet-Over-Powerline units. Or, then you might possibly piggyback the omnidirectional Base station, via Ethernet cable, to farm out the signal wirelessly. Or, maybe a USB Wifi card/antenna could spare you some hardware hacking.

I'm just guessing about that stuff, because I've never had any use for a Basestation.

But, I did see an article about hacking an external antenna into a Basestation. You'd at least need a pigtail with an RP-SMA connector (or other antenna connectors) at one end, but the other end would probably be an MC-Card connector (not the IPEX, like on the 2009 Mini), depending on the vintage of your unit.

This eBay seller has lots of this stuff priced well:

http://shop.ebay.com:80/merchant/data-allianceW0QQ_ipgZ50QQ_sopZ12?rdc=1

Be careful about those antenna fittings, they're often counter-intuitive in their gender labeling. Look carefully at the photo close-ups.

Here's an article hacking a Basestation;

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/ExtendedExtreme/index.html

Apparently, some of them have an external antenna jack, already.

Or, maybe that mentioned YDI Max-Ranger antenna from Fab-Corp would do after a minor hack.

The article mentions Dr. Bott and MacWireless products, too.

Do some more research and due diligence, then tell us what you think will accomplish what you want.

But, yes, if you're not grabbing your signal well, a better, external, directional antenna seems to be a primary step for you.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Jul 6, 2009 10:44 PM in response to Christian Livingstone

THanks a million i will be checking these things out. In the mean time I disassembled mac mini and pulled put wifi antenna and for some reason my macmini did not come with tele-modem so I fished it through there and put top back on. Seems to be better signal most the time. I also tightly wound a wire around the antenna its-self ( through hole to get actual contact) and attached it to an old antenna off an old router and pointed out the window. Also helped a little. Now I believe I will try the windsurfer. But eventually I will be buying a pigtail attaching maybe a high gain antenna or external omni directional. I am not sure what will work or if i have just gotten lucky with signal but Thanks for info...funny thing is I found this post on google on accedent and it endded up being my post...lol

External Wifi Antenna Mod To 2009 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.