Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual-booting - partitioning, backup and restore.

On my unibody mbp I have a dual boot with Ubuntu installed. My drive looks like this:

181.88GB - OS X with my user folder
48.70GB - Ubuntu
2.00GB - Swap

I think I want to end up with this scheme:

??GB - OS X
??GB - My OS X user folder and media shared between OS X and Ubuntu.
10.00GB - Ubuntu
2.00GB - Swap

Does this sound like a sensible layout? If so, do you see any pitfalls in the following plan to create the partition layout:

1. Backup (Time machine, plus a manual one to be sure)
2. Delete pictures/music/documents/movies from my User folder, and shrink the OS X partition using Disk Utility.
3. Use gparted live-cd to shrink the Ubuntu partition "to the right".
4. Use Disk Utility to format the unused space between the OS X and Ubuntu partitions to HFS+.

So far, so good? If that's the case, now I need some help. I know I can use advanced settings to specify that my user folder should be on the new partition, but can I use Time Machine to restore the user folder I backed up in step 1 to that location?

=====

Or.. Is it easier to backup all my data, repartition with gparted, reinstall leopard and restore my user folder? Is this something that I can do during Leopard install, or later with Time Machine? Restore an old users data instead of creating a new one?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 12:56 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2009 1:20 PM in response to Ayabara

There is absolutely no reason to have a separate OS X partition for your Home folder and other files. In fact doing so will make the machine slower because it cannot access two partitions simultaneously. Leave your system as it currently is. This would be the optimal configuration.

In fact if Ubuntu could be configured to put it's swap file on the Ubuntu partition so you could eliminate the swap partition this would improve Ubuntu's speed.

Jun 28, 2009 5:18 PM in response to Ayabara

The only way that would work is for the data partition to be formatted to something readable both by OS X and Ubuntu. However, doing so would mean your Home folder isn't on an OS X Extended volume. Definitely not a good idea, and it may render the Home folder unavailable during startup in which case the computer won't startup in OS X. If Ubuntu can read an HFS+ formatted volume, then there's not point to having the separate volume. Linux usually wants an eft2 or eft3 formatted disk which is useless to OS X. On the other hand it's possible for Linux to read an HFS+ formatted drive with the right drivers installed.

Dual-booting - partitioning, backup and restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.