Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Utility and AirTunes connectivity

Problem: if my PowerBook restarts with AirPort already turned ON, even though I reconnect to my wireless network (AirPort Extreme 11g Base and AirPort Express 11g WDS) and have full Internet connectivity, iTunes cannot find my AirTunes AXp network; and AirPort Utility (5.4.2) cannot detect either Apple wireless device. Turning Airport off and on has no effect. I can locate and connect to both the AXt and AXp manually (with their IP addresses and passwords) using AirPort Utility.

However, if AirPort is OFF when the machine restarts, and is subsequently turned on after it finishes booting, AirPort Utility instantly finds both the AXt and AXp; and iTunes instantly detects the AirTunes AXp network. Any suggestions apart from the obvious (always turning off AirPort before shutting down or restarting)?

Configuration: PowerBook5,8 (AlPB G4 1.67 DL 15") 2GB, Leopard v10.5.7 (9J61) PPC
Software: AirPort Utility 5.4.2; iTunes 8.2; AXt v5.7; AXp v6.3

PB G4 15 5,8, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jun 28, 2009 7:33 PM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2009 2:26 AM in response to Kappy

As noted, these are both 11g AWDs, so neither has the "Extend" mode option described on pages 46 and 47 available to it using AirPort Utility.

(Also, the figure on page 47 seems to be at variance with the text on page 47: it shows Wireless mode as "Participate in a WDS network" while the text suggests choosing "Create a wireless network".)

Jun 29, 2009 4:35 AM in response to Richard Outerbridge

I had a booger of a time getting WDS up and working correctly. The whole process was so frustrating and so many restarts, reloads, etc. I can't remember what finally made it click.

I thought it was running correctly, but it wasn't. This may be what you are seeing also.

One thing I did figure out was that the Automatic WDS configuration didn't work. I think in the newer Airport Utilities, that option is not even offered. You have to set up each base station manually. Start the Main, and then the remote. Ahh, remote. I think I was trying a relay for a while, and then read a document that said you must have one main and at least one remote; that sort of terminates the string.
Set each up with the same settings, channel, Airport Network Name, wireless passwords etc. and check the box to allow wireless clients on both. Make sure you are using the Airport MAC address and not the Ethernet MAC address. For a while, I thought mine were reversed on the sticker. I used the Airport menu (hold down option key) to see the Airport ID.

If you see two networks in your Airport menu, you don't have it working correctly.
Sorry about the less-than-stellar help, but I got it working and am not tinkering with it for anyone.

Jun 29, 2009 12:30 PM in response to Richard Outerbridge

As Barney has noted getting WDS working can be frustrating. I found that you need to start by knowing the MAC address of the AEBS and the AEX before starting. When you configure the AEBS to host a WDS network you have to provide the MAC address or the AEX. Then when you configure the AEX to join a WDS network you will have to provide the MAC address of the AEBS. In my experiences, like Barney's, you may have to futz around with this before you can finally get both devices talking to each other. It's not a pretty sight. User uploaded file

I messed with it over two days before I finally got it to work. In retrospect I'm glad I moved on to the "n" supported models. Much easier.

Jun 29, 2009 7:46 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy. I'm fairly sure WDS configuration is not a problem in my case: I have full Internet connection through the AXp WDS Remote whether or not iTunes can see the AXp's AirTunes network; and after booting with AirPort OFF and then turning it on everything works the way I expect it to. But I did go back to check, and all the MAC addresses are correct on both the AXBS and the AX WDS Remote, as are their network passwords, network names, channels, etc.

I've only noticed this anomaly over the past month or so, and wondered whether could be a novel interaction between 10.5.7 and/or AirPort Utility 5.4.2 with some pre-existing user-installed (that would be me) software component (let alone my PPC PowerBook and 11g AWDs). I know that similar experiences have been reported by others in the iTunes and Express forums for some time now, but as my problem was with both I felt it should be raised in the central OS X v10.5 discussion.

Aug 14, 2009 7:50 PM in response to Barney-15E

I was searching these threads and wanted to thank Barney-15E for solving my issues!!!

Essentially I kept getting this... "there was an error setting up this Apple wireless device for WDS..."

Two big things helped with his description, first Barney suggested "One thing I did figure out was that the Automatic WDS configuration didn't work." Amen, and no it does not work anymore. You have to set it up manually.

Second, to quote Barney "Set each up with the same settings, channel, Airport Network Name, wireless passwords etc. and check the box to allow wireless clients on both." and followed with "If you see two networks in your Airport menu (or more), you don't have it working correctly." Which is what kept happening with me. After i made everything identical i.e. same settings, channel, Airport Network Name, wireless passwords etc; everything worked!

I now have WDS and AirTunes! Thanks Barney

AirPort Utility and AirTunes connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.